Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.dvdfile.com/news/web_wire...anoutlaws.html

will this be a one shot as in the past? the chat on HTF seems DTS is still not their "tasse de thé" :D gggggggg ( love affaire with DOLBY ). and their previous dts releases are not particularly well done ( not speaking of sound pressure here but rather the musicality of these dts is not stunning but that could be due to the movies masters too. still , the dts has the edge on the dolby tracks ).

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I should hope that for most of us, halfbit DTS doesn't matter.

I was a big supporter of DTS, and blindly supported all DTS, even halfbit...until I was involved in a blind test using the new SB of the Fifth Element. I actually picked the DD soundtrack 4 out of 5 times, AND almost pick it 5 out of 5!

I have all the old full bitrate DTS DVD's and these are worth having, they do sound better.

The three problems I heard with half bit DTS:

First the highs are rolled off slightly, for some (like me) who originally built his system to be accurate, this is not needed, for someone with a bright sounded system, maybe so.

Second the ambient cues are not as strong.

Lastly, and most important, there is better seperation between items in the sound field.

I now see discs that put both, half bit DTS and DD on the same disc for what they are...a marketing ploy.

That space could be used for even higher video quality...or give me a full bitrate DTS soundtrack...I will buy that.

The systems used to test were of higher quality than most...one used B&K's top reciever, and B&W speakers (802's I think)

My system uses Sumo & Carver power amps, Acurus pre/pro, and Legacy Focus speakers...so these are system that will resolve the differences.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

I agree 1/2 dts is a compromise. Complain to Dolby that rules the market or the majors who favour Jeosixpacks with lots of extra etc.

Yet, while I have some full rate dts (Rivieres Pourpres, Peacemaker, Cutthroat Island etc), many 1/2 dts discs often beat the crap of the dolbies (Gladiator and no, it's not because it encoded higher! the bass are tighter, the highs are more violent ).

Even a badly encoded or poor stransfered full rate dts can sound so so or unatural. that is the case with Warner's dts.

some A/B comparisons where the 1/2 dts sounds better and not necessarily louder because of higher encoding or absence of dialnorm (more dynamic, tighter deeper bass, better dialogues clarity, better surround detailing etc ):

GLADIATOR

BONE COLLECTOR

U571

PITCH BLACK

LOST SOULS

5TH ELEMENT

CROUNCHING TIGER

AIR FORCE ONE

DESPERADO

THE MEXICAN

SHRECK

to name just a few