AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the kinda of gamer who plays about 10 different games a year and thats it. I just upgraded my computer and was really thinking hard if its worth it to drop even more cash on xbox 360.

If its $300 + another controller (30) + 2 games (120) + VGA cord they probably want (20 for it) + is xbox live going to transfer over? This is a lot of dough, are any of you guys saying screw it and wait till they come out on PC?

Chris

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I am planning to wait for the PS3 or at least some more hard facts on it, but I think it is bizarre to ask a question where nothing is really known. Your whole assessment is based on price and that is the one part where we know nothing about it. Also you add something like 2 games=60$ but won't you buy those games for your PC if you don't the 360?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Value is totally subjective. For me the PS3 and 360 will be worth whatever I pay for them, of this I am sure. Why wait for PC and have to keep up a HTPC for games? Its sure as hell going to cost more than both the 360 and PS3!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I will cherish this thread as it is the only thread I have read or ever will read where the PC is considered the better value over the console. Also, all of the prices you mentioned like $299, and accessories have been that way for quite some time. the 3DO was like $700 12-13 years ago lol.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freychris42424
I'm the kinda of gamer who plays about 10 different games a year and thats it. I just upgraded my computer and was really thinking hard if its worth it to drop even more cash on xbox 360.

If its $300 + another controller (30) + 2 games (120) + VGA cord they probably want (20 for it) + is xbox live going to transfer over? This is a lot of dough, are any of you guys saying screw it and wait till they come out on PC?

Chris
I think it's better to look at it as a long term investment. In my case I bought a November '01 Xbox with 2 games and 4 controllers plus two games. To this day the same xbox still works and only one controller died. I have played many games on this system. My point is that although it may seem costly now it's a system that you could potentially enjoy for 4 plus years. Plus there will be some exclusive titles. That being said my opinion could be consider biased since I finally broke down and preordered one. :p

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You bring up some good points Morkeleb.

I didn't buy orginal xbox when it came out either waited to buy it use, but I we'll see I guess.

Any other opinions?

Chris

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothru22
Yes I will buy a new $400 graphics card, $300 processor and $100 motherboard to play 1/15th the amount of games on PC that will be coming out on Xbox 360. Oh, and don't forget the $150 in RAM either.

Yes but the Xbox 360 will do laps around that PC you tend to build...

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Having a nice gaming rig or buying a new console are really 2 different experiences.

Playing a game on a pc, at least in front of your monitor at a desk with a game like Battlefield 2 and using a variety of functions between your KB and mouse is a completely different experience than a console.

It really depends on what you want but the 360 is definitely going to be a bargain since companies actually lose money on hardware.

A PC has it's place and certain games will definitely play better on a PC while some games are more suited for a console.

Plus, for me, the PC has less games so you have to be content with a meager line up as opposed to a console, but again it depends on what you like.

As far as online gaming, each one has its points. live has made great strides for console online gaming and voice communication yet PC games still seem to be better for the interface, amount of players on a server, mods, etc.

I personally will have both because I don't want to miss out.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freychris42424

Chris
You are in a Home Theater Forum and complaining about a $300 gaming console. I cannot take this seriously.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
You are in a Home Theater Forum and complaining about a $300 gaming console. I cannot take this seriously.
Excellent point. This is hardly the hobby of the frugal.

·
Registered
447 Posts
When PS2 came out, wasnt it $300? I think i remember that i got the GT3 package, which was a discounted price for Gran Turismo 3, which came to $330 or something along those lines, plus another controller $25. Thats $355 and you only have one game. I dont think this release is really anything different than the last few systems that have launched.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerret
I thought that for a moment as well but I get tired of being the bad guy around here so I left that for you. :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't know why this pricing discussion comes up so often on this board. This is a HT forum for crying out loud. You shouldn't even be on this forum unless you are soaking in cash. Seriously.

:)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
I don't know why this pricing discussion comes up so often on this board. This is a HT forum for crying out loud. You shouldn't even be on this forum unless you are soaking in cash. Seriously.

:)
One could argue that after a HT upgrade one is BROKE!

I was going over my plans for a major upgrade this winter and honestly I need to scale those plans back. Its adds up FAST!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
One could argue that after a HT upgrade one is BROKE!

I was going over my plans for a major upgrade this winter and honestly I need to scale those plans back. Its adds up FAST!!
Don't worry my friend . . . I sense another Internet bubble forming!! IT and tech jobs are really starting to grow again. It won't be long before we are all sloppy rich again.

:D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.