AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fat being that it is a room that's wider than longer (W/L >1.1). Skinny being longer than wider (W/L

For the 'width measurement, take it at the screen wall.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
"Skinny". Footprint is 9'5' wide by 26.5' long physically. The actual room will be shortened visually by acoustically transparent front and rear GOM walls with all speakers hidden behind GOM.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Skinny, 13 X 20...

John

·
Registered
271 Posts
Skinny. 13'9"W x 19'L

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane
fat, 13x20 (13 being screen wall).
Um, I think you have it backwards. If your screen wall is 13 then 13/20 is certainly less than (

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape
Neither, 17x21.
bpape - I calculate .81, making your's skinny. Mine is skinny too, 15x21.

My guess is that 95% of the theaters here will be skinny because its the way to get the best viewing angles and more than one row of seats. Perhaps only really small rooms will be fat.

·
Registered
844 Posts
How about SUPER skinny.....~11'4"x23'6" (.48) I'm just behind Tedd on the "skinny" meter:)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 'target' room in my basement is 12.5x26.5 (0.47), but a few months ago I began re-evaluating the situation. My home theater is suppose to be for me first and everyone else a distance second, no? This notion along with the fact that my CRT's projection screen is diffusive in nature prompted me to consider a wider screen wall. Currently experimenting with the MiniMe Room is one in which I have an 80" wide screen on a 12' wide wall that yields a lot of illumination of the walls adjacent to the screen wall.

As such is this experiment I can either go with a more nattor screen or a wider room. This means the 12.5'x26.5' room in the basement isn't really going to work. But, since I am catering to me, first, there is a 16'x18' room I could experiment width as I could go 106" wide in screen with the same presumed adjacent-wall illumination, or stay more conservitive and probably get a better handle in light control*.

* In the MiniMe Room the 'amount' of wall width on either side of the screen is only 20" or so. If I were to stay with this screen width the amount of wall width becomes 56".

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Art, you have a skinny theater. :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
.6 - skinny

·
Registered
844 Posts
And I really wanted a "PHAT" theater :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mine is 26'L x 20'w

I think this is pretty close to the optimal size I hear about. This pic is a bit dark sorry. Anyway I just removed one whole corner where my workstation was. This opened up the whole room. I am in the process of building a 26' wall with door. to enclose this room. Right now the room is anywhere fro 27'x23' to 26'x31' with stairs.

The stage will be on the 20' wall and will encompass the entire wall from floor to ceiling. I'll try and post a pic of the drawings.

scooter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.