AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I have gotten mine a little interested but she does not look for HD to watch. Wish she was more interested.

Is having the spouse hooked a good or bad thing and why?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Speaking from the other side of the tracks, it seems like a good thing. My wife insists she can't tell the difference ("oh it's a little bit better, but it doesn't really matter.")

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine is hooked. She does look for stuff in HD, but will settle for West Wing over HD (something I won't do). Just try to get her away from SEC football on a Saturday! This is the reason that we got HDTV -- she wanted to watch football in HD (okay, and I really wanted it, too).

It is definitely a good thing. She sees the difference and really likes it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
not only is she into HD, she has developed a critical eye - so i often hear: "this does not look like "real HD"", or "is this DVD anamorphic?" when the PQ is less than 100% - Frank should get along w/ her ;)

ps: she also approved (and love) our 4 1/2 ft high speakers in the living room. her taste is hightech/modern - so there are no frilly things / floral patterns anywhere in the house. no doll collecting either. thank goodness. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I came home last Wednesday at 8 pm sharp. Her first words to me were "How do I turn on the HD thingie. JAG is on." She's hooked but doesn't like to admit to anything that will encourage my HT spending. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
My wife enjoys the home theater as well, and we definitely enjoy Jay Leno together quite frequently. We don't watch much network television, but she enjoys the HDNet baseball and hockey games and can definitely appreciate the difference.

She also really likes the ABC surround sound, particularly NYPD Blue. We're both looking forward to the 2-hour movie on Nov 6...

·
Registered
695 Posts
My wife is duly impressed with HD video, and clearly enjoyed Perfect Storm and Patriot in HD. However, she can take it or leave it. She's not really a videophile like I am, and she's often doing needlepoint or something else while we're watching tv.

She has several complaints, some of which are valid, that has sometimes made her switch back to an NTSC feed after I've left the room:

In her mind, it's a complicated thing to set the receiver to HD, then tune the tv to the correct input. She just wants to turn the thing on and watch.

Dropouts have caused us to miss crutial dialogue, which is frustrating.

Lip-sync problems from ABC make some shows (Dharma & Greg) impossible to watch.

Stupid glitches by network engineers who don't know which switch to press to change back and forth from the SD and HD feeds are a pain. Suddenly switching from glorious 1080i to upconverted 480i looks like crap.

In a nutshell, she doesn't go out of her way to watch HDTV like I do, and in the long run, doesn't really care. She's missed most of the great PBS specials I've seen. If we had the Discovery network channels in HD, she'd definitely be watching more HDTV.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not only is my wife hooked, but she is angry at the lack of programming. No NFL and no Letterman are her biggest gripes. She loves sports (I'm so lucky) so we watch baseball and hockey on HDnet and a lot of the special events on CBS.

But the best is that she shows all her friends HDNet when they come over. They tell two friends and so and so.... So, if your spouses like HDTV, get them to spread the word!!!!

Regards - Hal

P.S. I won't buy a Tivo since I don't want her getting use to that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unfortunately, my wife couldn't care less about HD. She will appease me and agree that the picture looks better, but generally would have been perfectly happy with the 19" TV and Magnavox VCR she had before she met me.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine can clearly tell the difference on shows like CSI. However, most of the time she goes to bed early because she gets up early for work and misses out on alot of HD shows. She is like a Joe 6 pack in that turning on the STB is just too much to do. She'll wait for me to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wish I could say yes, but he could take it or leave it. He will be happy watching the regular HBO channel even though all it would take is the press of a button to switch to the HBO-HD channel. "It's just TV" is a comment I've heard before. I have given up saying "see, isn't THIS picture a LOT better?" - I will get agreement that it is, but it doesn't seem to count for much. Oh well! It does to ME.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I guess there has to be balance in the world.

In my household, I (the wife) am the HDTV, big screen TV fanatic. I bought and set up all the equipment (except for the audio equipment-- that's his area)

He will be watching a movie and I will check HDTV galaxy and tell him wouldnt you rather watch this in HD and he'll be like I'll miss a couple of minutes in switching the video/audio inputs. I'll insist on switching and then he'll say it looks nicer. But the only thing time he really noticed was when we had PBS-HD (prior to the WTC...)

Frankly, he couldnt care less. He is happy enough with Dish Premium channel quality and mostly watches CNN. He loves the live pause and rewind feature of the 501.

My friends are very impressed with satellite and the RPTV and plan to buy them when they move to bigger places.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My wife has not yet been impressed, I must admit I have not been either. It is certainly a big improvement over cable on the big screen, and we both enjoy DVD's, but with only a week of HD under our belts, we were both expecting more from all the hype I keep hearing about "WOW TV"

One reason I hope, is I have seen posts on how awful the PQ was on most of the HD shows we watched this week, i.e. SEC football on CBS, Crossing Jordan etc...

I keep hearing that I will know when I see the real thing, I guess I will just have to keep waiting, any help on which shows have had the most consistent PQ?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The only product my wife has ever been openly excited about was our first TiVo, since she could effortlessly record several kids shows and let the kids watch them whenever they wanted. She was also the primary organizer of our stack of video tapes, so the TiVo has made her life easier in that regard.

In terms of PQ, she has very little direct concern. She likes the 55" widescreen (not HDTV) we have had for several years. She actually seeks out movies on DVD now, when before she thought it was a lot of fuss. Blockbuster going big-time on this is a part of this reason. She has seen a few HDTVs and admits the picture is a little better, but isn't very interested in upgrading.

In summary, she would love the improved picture and sound, but wouldn't go out of her way for it. She definitely would not go for it at the expense of not having the convenience of the TiVo. We watch pretty much nothing live, even including sporting events (it is kind of nice to watch a 3-hour game in 2-hours, or less if it sucks).

I am eagerly awaiting an HD-TiVo. I will snap that up quick and have a very-compelling reason to upgrade my set.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SUTTONHT
I keep hearing that I will know when I see the real thing, I guess I will just have to keep waiting, any help on which shows have had the most consistent PQ?
You should've watched "Family Law" last night instead of "Crossing Jordan". Check out "The Guardian" and "Judging Amy" tonight, "CSI" on Thursday, and "The District" on Saturday. Also, do you have PBS-HD where you are? If that doesn't pop your eyes open, nothing will.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks Vic, I'll definitely check out the Guardian tonight,

I do suspect PBS will be the best, but the Boston DTV pbs I should get is in testing mode - only turned on on Friday nights, and they cancelled it this past Friday. Hopefully this Friday will be a go !!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Watched the Africa Lake Victoria show on PBS last night and it was awesome -- amazing scenery, great colors, and a good story woven around the documentary aspect too. Then afterwards the American Masters (I think) show (Mr. Ponder something?) came on and it was hilarious -- great story, very nice quality, no commercials.

I was thinking that this was about the nicest evening of TV I had seen in a while -- no commercials, no LCD contrived lame stories and bad actors, great quality stuff (stories and picture-wise).

She liked it, relatively speaking.

--R

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
My wife insists she can't tell the difference ("oh it's a little bit better, but it doesn't really matter.
I feel your pain. I view my 6000 on a computer monitor right now and the picture is pristine. I can only drool over the thought of viewing HD 65" wide, but the wife looks at it, says"Yep, it's nice, but so what, my CABLE is just fine for me" Aargh, GAG, Puke!! And this is on a 13" TV in the bedroom.

The one occassion I had to have her see a real live HDTV was on a 65" Mits at a local dealer. They were playing an animated DVD feature with sub titles turned on with a foreign language playing, the picture was in stretch mode and the red push was way hot. It left a real impression on her... Why would someone spend $5,000 for a picture that looks like THAT? No amount of explanation would wean her from the fact that the dealer is a BOZO and doesn't know how to present a decent HD display. Sigh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.