AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Z1 represents a newer era of projector, and has improved contrast, but the 10ht has higher resolution. Which of these provide the better image for HDTV/DVD/TV viewing?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'd guess the 10HT for HD viewing and possibly DVD as well. I don't think you'd be happy stepping way down in resolution, but you might not have to with low cost, higher contrast WXGA LCD's on their way.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already "Stepped down" From the 10ht by selling it. I guess what I'm really wondering is if I will be satisifed (Defined as meet and/or exceed the 10ht for movie immersion) with these wonderful low cost projectors like the Z1 or if I really need to go up to the higher $$ projectors for a suitable replacement.

Something in the middle, like the HS20 which should outperform the 10ht by a wide margin, yet still be far more affordable then the 10ht was might as you suggest be the best option. Of course I would love to pay $1000-$1300 instead of $2500-$3500.

I guess I have to audition them in person; very difficult in my location.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the Z2 significantly outperform the 10HT? (Obviously no one KNOWS yet since it's not out) but how about the HS10? Is the picture from the HS10 better then the 10HT?

Also, what are the advantages to the 12HT over the HS10? I just don't get it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My brother went from a 10HT (with CC40 filter) to a Panasonic ae300 – his impression was that there was just no comparison. The Panny is more than twice as good for less than half the price.

The 10HT is a excellent projector, but even with filters it only had something like about 200:1 contrast, it is just going to look washed out in comparison to a more modern machines.

The Panasonic has “smooth screen technology†which makes up for it’s slightly lower resolution compared to the 10HT , the Z1 doesn’t, so that screen door might be a problem depending on the screen size.

Liam

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akm3
Does the Z2 significantly outperform the 10HT? (Obviously no one KNOWS yet since it's not out) but how about the HS10? Is the picture from the HS10 better then the 10HT?

Also, what are the advantages to the 12HT over the HS10? I just don't get it.
Well I would guess the Z2 will significantly out perform it. The z2 will have a res of 1280x720, a much higher contrast ratio and since it uses the newest generation of LCD panels & components it will have all the other improvements that have come with LCD technology since the 10HT.

I suggest you wait a couple months (if you can) and check out the new entry PJs coming out, specifically the Z2, Panasonic L500 and Sony HS20.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I own both the 10ht and Z1. The sony is in my living room, sanyo in my bedroom. Both are on a 96 inch screen. They both have good points and bad. The 10ht is much smoother, but the z1 is punchier. Some of my friends prefer the 10, others the z1. Me, I go back and forth. I will say that I paid three times as much for the 10ht, and its not three times better. If I could get the Z1 with the resolution of the 10ht, I would be in heaven. Ummmm, just like the Z2!!!!

If you are set on getting a proj. now, I say get the z1 or the 300, you will be happy with either, and save some money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.