AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the DC area. I've got two E* dishes on my roof. One is the Dish 500 with dual LNB and the other is a larger dish with a single LNB pointed at 61.

We are expecting sustained winds at 70+ MPH. Does anyone know how vulnerable these dishes are?

Thanks!

PS: Everyone in harm's way, may the God of your understanding protect you.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If they're properly bolted to a strong structure and assuming nothing hits them they should be fine. (You're likely to experience quite a rainfade though.)

If all you get are 70 mph winds with attendant heavy rainfall, all you're likely to experience are broken tree limbs and maybe minor structural damage such as minor roof tile damage, possibly resulting in leaks, depending on the type of roof you have and its condition, and most likely not. I base my advice on having gone through several hurricanes myself, most minor but a few big ones: Catagory 5 Camille in 1969 (about 100 miles from the center of the eyewall), Cat 4 Frederick in 1979 (12 miles from the center of the eyewall) both when I lived southwest of Mobile, AL. Both of these flooded low-lying areas and blew down large trees in my location. I was here in Lake Worth, FL about 65 miles from the center of the eyewall of Andrew in 1992 when it hit Homestead, FL, just south of Miami, here in south Florida. Andrew was a really destructive yet "tight" Cat 5 with an eyewall of only about 25 miles diameter.

If you're in a flood plain or subject to the effects of a tidal surge, evacuate.

Also, keep in mind that tornadoes are sometimes spawned by hurricanes and these can be hyper-destructive and nearly impossible to predict or even detect before they wreak damage.

While my extended families and I have tended to "ride-out" hurricanes, we have always done so using common sense based on several generations of accumulated experience from my family having lived in Louisiana, coastal Alabama and Florida. Earlier on there was more "luck" involved than a scientist like me would be comfortable with today. I am thankful that the folks at the National Hurricane Center in Miami and all of their collegues at NOAA have advanced their tropical storm forecasting skills to the point that they have. The bottom line for me is if they say "evacuate" I absolutely will do so, regarding my partner, cats and irreplaceable belongings. (I'll be working at WPEC (CBS), which is a fairly-inland, high and dry, fairly "hard site" facility should the worst ever happen here!)

Good luck, Mike and let us know how you fare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live in the DC area and have dishes and antennas on the roof also.

I would not panic, 70mph winds are not gonna happen. I don't care what Topper or Ryan are saying. 40 MPH at best. You heard it here first.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi,

I'm in Cary NC. Now we will be seeing the 70+ MPH winds. Well if my Directv dish comes done, it will be good time to stop the service and just wait for the Dish 211. With so much HD programming on OTA right now, heck I don't need Directv any more.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I already took mine down yesterday. I figure it's alot easier to remove the dish from the mounting bracket than possibly have to buy a new dish and repair the holes in my chimney left from the bracket ripping out.

We are going to have 50-80 mph winds here tomorrow, by the time the storm gets to you, it shouldn't be more than a tropical depression.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was looking at the specs of the Channel Master GainMaster large tiple LNB dish today. It is rated at 50MPH operational, 100MPH survivable. It is bigger than consumer dishes, but on the other hand, it may have a sturdier mount.

Robert

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have the same question but for an antenna. My antenna is mounted below the roof line but I felt it was better to go thru the hassle of removing it than to have to buy and install a new one.

Was I paranoid? Incidently, I live in Winchester and the lasted predicted path has the eye passing right over us.

Bomber

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi everyone,

The antanna and Dish has so far survive Isabal. We got about two more hours of gusting winds here in Cary.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carlsbadd
I live in the DC area and have dishes and antennas on the roof also.

I would not panic, 70mph winds are not gonna happen. I don't care what Topper or Ryan are saying. 40 MPH at best. You heard it here first.

Can I have some buttered rice to go with my crow?:D

My dish and Antenna survived,hope everyone made out OK.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
I watched DishNetwork during the entire time the storm passed by. Trees down all over the place. I didn't lose picture once. My cable was out for two days though. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.