Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have my BenQ8700+ mated with Denon 1910 and am having lots of problems with macroblocking (no green's). Lot of foreign DVD's I watch look terrible even though they are all anamorophic with great quality prints. I am torn between upgrading to a Denon 2910 based on all the reviews here on AVS forum or spend little more money and jump into ISCAN HD. If I add IScan will that get rid of macroblocking? I realize I can test drive Iscan HD for 30 days but not sure if it's worth the hassle if I'm not going to keep it. I really need help choosing one. Thanks a lot....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Interesting, I am recently debating the ISCAN as an upgrade to my Bravo D1 as well. The 30 day money back tryout is nice. I hear and read its a superb product. What player would you feel it dvd source from?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ordered the Iscan which will arrive on Monday. I will initially use 1910 and decide where to go from there. Ideally, I would like to buy an SDI player but may be down the road...

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
bujji, With the 30 day return policy it's hard to go wrong. You will have to use the 1910s 480i output into the IscanHD to get its' best performance. That way the Iscan will be doing both the de-interlacing and the scaling and the macroblocking will be eliminated due to bypassing the Faroudja's processing. SDI is the best option down the road although I'm not sure if the 1910 is listed by any of the modders as of yet.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The Iscan HD WILL eliminate the MB, definitely. It uses SI504 deinterlacing solution. The MB is an artifact of the Faroudja chip.

There's an etailer shipping them now for $1200 with SDI mod which is a good deal. Sad thing is they won't send me the SDI mod when I just bought one 1 week ago.

You may, however, want to wait unit mid-November when the IScan HD+ ships. This will let you take advantage of scaling/deinterlacing 720p and 1080i without pass-through.

I will most likely return my HD for a HD+ so I can feed it a 480i HDMI signal from a 59avi. I understand the delayed release of the HD+ is due to firmware for a 480i feed via HDMI>DVI>HD+

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Clark and Mimason,

thanks for the information. I cancelled my order because I want to definitely get HD+ if it's only few weeks. How do I connect my 1910 to Iscan i.e. via component or DVI? Thanks again..

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hi Mimason! Do you know that IScan HD is upgradable to HD+ with a simple board swap for $ 399.00. Also using DVI from 1910 will not get Faroudja out of the pathway as DVI only outputs 480p & above so deinterlacing will still be done in 1910. SDI is the best option provided the dvd players MPEG decoder does not have a CUE bug.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi!

Does anyone see *any* advantage to having both a 2910 and an IScan? I've just recently ordered the Denon (and will be getting my new Mits DLP set within two weeks.) Now I'm wondering if there's any advantage to adding an IScan?

I hear that some of the newer HD sets do not do such a good job on SD pix, and so I'm speculating that if the IScan can help with that *and* perhaps even improve the PQ off the 2910, spending the extra bucks might be worth it. For me, something like this might be more useful than upgrading to the 3910, which would give me superior audio, but do little for the PQ (which is more important to me.)

Obviously, I'll wait until I've actually had a chance to try the 2910 on my new set, and maybe I'll just be happy with the way it is. Still, I'm curious as to what others on this forum may think about running the two units (2910 and, let's say, an ISCAN HD+) together. A waste of $$$ ????

- Tom

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vinodk
Hi Mimason! Do you know that IScan HD is upgradable to HD+ with a simple board swap for $ 399.00. Also using DVI from 1910 will not get Faroudja out of the pathway as DVI only outputs 480p & above so deinterlacing will still be done in 1910. SDI is the best option provided the dvd players MPEG decoder does not have a CUE bug.

Yes, I was aware of the udgrade, thanks. Also, thanks for the clarification on the dvi path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.