AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be watching DVDs mostly on my LT150. HDTV won't be an issue for me for a good while. Still yet, I don't like to waste money if it is unnecessary.

I am curious what is the best option for the NEC LT150... an IScan (I guess v2) or a Progressive Scan DVD player? If I go with the Prog. DVD player, I'd still like to keep it at $500 or under, which I suppose means I'd get a Panasonic RP-91. So which is the better choice?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got an external Iscan Pro and the result with

a dreamvison dl 500 is great.

I don't imagine to play a dvd without this device.

Furthermore, you have the advantage to connect others

video sources like VHS or TV.

It's not the case if you choose a progressive DVD player !

Of course, in theory results should be better because we avoid one anologic to digital conversion.

But believe me with an external display interface like the Iscan Pro, you will not recognize anymore your video projector.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
YOu can get all aspect controls with a DVDo as well....just epnds how you configure it....less hassle with a decnet progressive scan player..but more viewing choices as someone selse has said..

Regards,

JOhn

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The I Scan Pro is going for $669 on ebay... can I get a better price elsewhere?

Is there any good reason to go with the I Scan Pro over the I Scan v2? I know that the Pro has component inputs but is there any other advantage to it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
James_T

I just purchased an LT 150 and have the same question about P scan DVD vs scaler. I have reviewed the specs on the DVDO Iscan pro and it's output is via VGA 15 pin adapter. I think I read somewhere that the LT 150 does not have as many control function available on the VGA port as the component port. This bears further investigation as I am considering the Iscan pro as well. I have a Pioneer elite DVL-91 and it would be disappointing to pay for progressive scan dvd player just for line doubling. My Pioneer is a great piece of equipment albiet it outputs an NTSC signal.

Have you tested the LT 150's internal scaler? I give it a try as soon as I get my projector. But, from the many posts I've read on this forum, the internal scaler is very poor.....but I'm going to see what "very poor" means before I purchase any scaler/dvd player.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sudsurfer:

Actually I haven't even ordered the projector yet, but I'll be doing so in a few days. However, I know if I don't have a good scaler or Prog Scan DVD player I'll never be satisfied in knowing that I can get a much better picture that way. There seems to be a strong consensus here that the LT150 absolutely needs an external scaler of some sort.

Can anyone explain how the IScan gives you fewer (or more difficult) aspect controls than a prog scan dvd player?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have the LT85, a progressive scan DVD player and an iScan.

After a bit of playing around, I have it setup so that my progressive player goes into the VGA/Component input, and I run a direct S-Video input from my prepro.

Strangely enough I prefer the S-Video input for cable sources to the iScan. The picture isn't as sharp, but there are fewer video artifacts.

The component input is set to Wide Screen. This gives me automatic aspect ratio switching simply by switching sources.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.