AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my iScan plus V1 I think. It has only s-video and composite inputs. I already have an APEX AD-800 progressive scan DVD player for DVD's, I use this for laserdiscs and some tape and TV. Which input is better for laserdisc. Since laserdiscs are natively composite, is it better to use that connection to the iScan? I was using S-video tonight and it looked good, but not great like my prog. scan DVD. I am using an LT150 for a projector. Also, I am using RGB colorspace, because component requires removing pins with my setup, which I don't mind doing if there is an advantage. Aspect ratio control is not needed for iScan sources, which will not be anamorphic. and I don't fiddle with color settings either. Is one method of higher quality? I would think the VGA type signal would be better with the separate sync signals. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15,077 Posts
shahram72,

Which output of your LD player is better, s-video or composite, depends on the design of that particular model of player. Some recombine the s-video signal to generate the composite output rather than using the original composite signal from the disc. Supposedly doing it that way saves a few pennies. You'll have to look at both signals and decide for yourself.

The best DVDs will always have a better video output than the best LDs. Most DVDs are better than most LDs. I've seen some pretty bad DVDs, but there haven't been any reports of DVD rot yet.

In general RGB signals should result in a better image than component YPrPb, since the display device has to decode component into RGB anyhow. Again, though, it really depends on the design of the player and the display device.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.