AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether an Iscan Pro or the Panasonic STB is the best way to improve my picture. Just bought the Mits 65809. Lousy picture with satelite channels (or OTA for that matter). Iscan only doubles to 480P whereas STBs upconvert to 720P or 1080i. Would the 480P Iscan picture be better or worse than a 720P or 1080i STP upconverted image. I realize that the STB will also decode the HDTV signal (few as they are now) and I intend to buy one in the near future anyway. the question is whether the improved picture from the Iscan is worth the money. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
paulreiss1965

Hello fellow Hoosier. The STB can act as a double if it is connected to the HD port on your set. It may not be the greatest doubler but much better than using the SVideo input. With your set being a 16:9 you will also need to stretch you 4:3 material to 16:9 or risk burned CRTs. It will to that too. I have two DTC100's one is connect to a Mits 55805 and the other to a Barco front projector. I think for the money it does a good job of scaling. (not great a little soft) I don't know what Panasonic STB your talking about however bang for the buck the DTC100 is hard to beat. I saw an open box at Best Buy in Mishawaka for $429.00. You just need a $20 VGA to BNC breakout cable and 5 BNC to RCA adapters and you will be watching HD.

------------------

Hello ! My name is Mike and I’m a Home Theater Addict.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.