AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Iscan Ultra to replace my Iscan Plus ver 1. What a huge upgrade for DBS reception. Being able to select 16:9 and fill the entire screen (94" Stewart StudioTek 130) with the Sony VW10HT and virtually eliminate the artifacts on ESPN for Hockey has made my day!

Next weekend I'll try running my Denon DVD-1600 in interlaced mode and see how the Iscan Ultra compares to the Faroudja processing in the DVD-1600. So far, a great and very worthwhile upgrade!..... :D

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Cool. I'm curious how the Ultra would work with LD and SVHS widescreen titles filling the screen. I wonder if the "zooming" makes the resolution poor. I'd be using an AE100 myself.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I am using a Lumagen Vision (same de-interlacer as iScan Ultra). It too replaces an iScan v1 and was gotten with a future HDTV or SVGA projector in mind. It is now being used at 480p which means it is doing the same thing as the Ultra. With laserdisks. I think I am getting all the resolution I possibly can. I do notice the softness of zoomed letterbox programs. But then I am sitting really close to the screen and the larger the picture, the more magnified are the deficiencies. Remember that with respect to the subject matter, vertical resolution of the zoomed letterbox picture is still 360 lines.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
Cool. I'm curious how the Ultra would work with LD and SVHS widescreen titles filling the screen. I wonder if the "zooming" makes the resolution poor. I'd be using an AE100 myself.
Provisional thumbs up on both. I have the Pioneer CLD-99 and a pair of Mits 790's for SVHS. Using the Japanese subtitled Star Wars The Phantom Menace LD I A-B's between the LD and the DVD on my DVD-1600 Denon. I set the Denon to interlaced and ran both through the ISCAN Ultra and switched between them during the film. The DVD was noticeably clearer. However, the LD was the best it ever was on my Sony 10HT. I then watched a few home movies shot on Mini-DV and saved to SVHS. They also were not as sharp as the DVD but it was the best SVHS picture I had ever seen on the screen (Stewart StudioTek 130 94" 16:9).

You can't make more from what's there but you can process it as best can be done and get the best from the source. The Iscan Ultra really does the job.

I prefer it doing the processing to the Faroudja chip in the DVD-1600. :D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Was The Phantom Menace on DVD anamorphic? There is no way the LD can compare with an anamorphic DVD.

(I do possess one anamorphic 16:9 LD, "Anna Karenina".)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:

Remember, the Iscan Ultra does not simply zoom in on a 4:3 letterboxed image. It has a proprietary scaling function that scales the image to work on a 16:9 display as if it were anamorphic. This is obviously not to say that its quality will be as good as real anamorphic, but it will no longer be just 360 lines filling your screen; it will be a full 480(360 of which will be original). This will be of tremendous help if it is the scan lines of LD that is driving you crazy.

As for the quality of the scaling done in the Iscan, I have heard nothing but excellent reviews. It wont make LD look like an anamorphic DVD, but from what I have heard it will make it very competitive with non-anamorphic DVD. Then again, you can run your non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs through this function to. It should also make them look a little better. It sure beats the scan line producing zooms in most displays.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi guys,

What have you found when running cable TV sources(analog & digital) through the Iscan? longbow, did you consider any of the Centerstage products? specifically, the CS-HD? This has the same de-interlacer chip set as the Ultra, and it upscales?

~ Jay

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Allan Jayne
Was The Phantom Menace on DVD anamorphic? There is no way the LD can compare with an anamorphic DVD.

(I do possess one anamorphic 16:9 LD, "Anna Karenina".)
TPM on LD is not anamorphic. It looked as good as I have ever seen it through the Ultra. It does not stand up to the DVD via the ultra or using the DVD-1600 in progressive using its Faroudja chip.

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jw_Wood
Hi guys,

What have you found when running cable TV sources(analog & digital) through the Iscan? longbow, did you consider any of the Centerstage products? specifically, the CS-HD? This has the same de-interlacer chip set as the Ultra, and it upscales?

~ Jay
I have been a big fan of DVDO for years. The connectivity of the Ultra along with the aspect control was my primary needs beyond the progressive conversion. I have HD via DISH Network and was not looking to create 1080i from 480i or lower source material. I have never been particularly impressed with any scaling beyond 480p. If it was not there to begin with you can't make it from air. The upconversion vs softening of the converted picture is not what I want for viewing.

Nothing against the CS-HD. The Ultra was exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Longbow, like you I am also using a 10ht. I love my projector, but hockey off my direct tv leaves a lot to be desired. Lots and lots of artifacts. I have always been told that a processor wouldnt help because of the old "garbage in, garbage out thing". Now I read your post and it seems there may be hope! Hockey and football are the worst offenders. PPV actually isnt bad. DVD's, on the other hand look great. Would a processor that will up-convert to 720 be better, or should I look into an ultra? Thanks, waiting to hear more and more..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have GW 11 . The tweaks from UMR ( THE GOD OF TWEAKS) Have helped a great deal Im getting a iscan ultra to see if it helps with artifacts and high motion action. We will see. But my real question is if Im running better cable silver serpent svhs and componet to the ultra do I need to buy other silver serpent cables to continue the run to the GW11 to not cheat the quality?

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dtviewer
Longbow, like you I am also using a 10ht. I love my projector, but hockey off my direct tv leaves a lot to be desired. Lots and lots of artifacts. I have always been told that a processor wouldnt help because of the old "garbage in, garbage out thing". Now I read your post and it seems there may be hope! Hockey and football are the worst offenders. PPV actually isnt bad. DVD's, on the other hand look great. Would a processor that will up-convert to 720 be better, or should I look into an ultra? Thanks, waiting to hear more and more..........
Without any Iscan the NHL play-offs suck for picture quality. I have been doing OK with the Iscan Plus. I was curious if the Ultra could do a better job. It is a major improvement over the Plus and head and shoulders above no processing. It is certainly not HD, but compared to what I had been getting it is by far the best picture yet. I am not done playing with its various settings. Hopefully I can squeeze a bit more clarity after some tweeking this next weekend. I did not use it tonight for hockey as I was at the Lightning v. Devils game (4-3 Lightning!!!! Go 'ning!)

I have never had an opportunity to use anything that can scale beyond 480p other than my Dish 6000 receiver. I am not overly impressed with its upconversion. I would love to spend some time with a Faroudja NRS or something similar to see what advantage they can offer. Someday perhaps but not this paycheck..:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the help. I was at the game also, don't know how much more of that my heart can take! But I'll be there weds. night anyway! Think I will start searching for some type of scaler now, seeing as you are getting a better picture. I've been going back and forth as people keep telling me conflicting opinions, but now somebody with the same projector and watching the same sat feed, seeing the same problems! This really helped.

Now if we could only control rebounds in front of our net a little better........

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now if we could only control rebounds in front of our net a little better......

Don't get me started... Can Kubina PPPLLEEEAASSEE play for 60 minutes just once!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Longbow,

Could you describe your perception of the quality differences between your Progressive image from the Faroudja chip in your DVD-1600 and that of the iScan Ultra? I know you preferred the iScan and it won't surprise me if I end up preferrring it to DVD player processing to Faroudja in the long-run, but I've read few if any detailed comparisons.

I plan to do a comparison with that of my DVD 963SA once I get a new one with an updated Faroudja 2300 chipset (my current model is very problematic).

Right now I'm using the iScan instead of my Sony changer's progressive processing since I felt quite confident the iScan would do a better job, but I'll definitely have to do some comparison with the new Faroudja chipset even though it means some cable swapping when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Longbow,

Thanks for this information. I, like you and dtviewer, are running a VPL-VW10ht and have been seriously considering an Iscan Ultra. I primarly watched DVD's but I still have 150+ laser's. The laser's PQ (plugged) directly into the 10ht (via S-video) is average at best. I also watched the superbowl via satellite thru the 10ht (again thru s-video) and the picture was just average. So it is good to hear your experiences with the Iscan Ultra.

I am surprised that you're using a studiotek 130 with the 10ht. I assume you must like it. I am using a 110" Stewart Firehawk and it's excellent.

Sounds like you and dtviewer are in Florida (as am I) and we must be close if you guys can get to the Ice Palace (I'm about 25 miles from it) to see the Lightning...maybe we should start a HT club...would love to see your PQ thru the Iscan Ultra.

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Solo88, I found that both the DCDi and the Sil504 are great for creating an artifact free picture. The DCDi is a bit softer (Read filmlike) than the Sil504. I prefer the slightly sharper image of the Ultra. The ultra also has sharpness and edge control to tweek as you want. Both are a major improvement over regular DBS. The iscan is definately better than the Sony DRC.

Nabs17, I bought my screen before there was a firehawk of greyhawk. At that time (April 2000) they were about to release the greyhawk, but no one had seen it yet. The StudioTek throws a beautiful picture and with the SMART II upgrade the 10HT looks very nice. Considering the unit is over 3 years old and has about 5000 hours on it (I'm on bulb # 2 so far) That makes this a grand daddy LCD in this product genre.

Last night we had friends over that are Civil War buffs. So I broke out the collectors edition of Gettysburg on LD with my Pioneer Elite CLD-99 running via S-Video through the Ultra. What a show. The 99 is one of the best LD's ever, but the ultra has tricks it never saw. Great combination. The aspect control is the other terrific benefit of the Ultra that the Pro cannot do. Medium, large or Supersize are all a click away regardless of whether something was done in anamorphic or not. You can do what you need to via the small remote or off the front panel.

All in all 2 Thumbs up from me for the Iscan Ultra and Welcome back to Dale and the DVDO boys! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.