AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it may seem like a silly question, but I want to know what happens if you feed the iScan Ultra a Progressive Scan signal.

I have a TV that locks into Full when it gets a progressive signal, and very few Gamecube games that support progessive scan have aspect ratio control built in. (SSX Tricky rocks; it actually has an "Animorphic" mode so it fills a 16:9 screen completely AND maintains proper propotrions).

I'd like to use the "squeeze" mode to preserve the correct AR of games that don't have an anamorphic progessive scan mode.

Will the iScan accept a 480p signal from the Gamecube or will it freak out?

Anyone try this before? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The iScan Ultra will not process a progressive scan input signal. You can use the passthrough input for such a signal, but you won't be able to use any of the aspect ratio controls for that signal. You would have to feed the iScan an interlaced signal from the Gamecube in order to make use of the aspect ratio controls.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You can get a CS-1 or CS-2 that will take 480p and scale it, I think the CS-HD will take 480p as well not 100 percent sure. The CS-HD will run you about the same price as the Iscan Ultra so you might want to check in to it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Got a good deal at Onecall on the iScan. Guess I'll live with the stretching for Progressive Scan Gamecube games. It's not so bad, but it would have been nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Surely there is a way you can set the TV to display it as 4:3 as it should ?

I can't imagine it displays all progressive signals in full screen. What about watching televison on it (siganl passed through the Iscan that is), or you need to adjust the iscan device to add letterboxes on the side ?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. I believe this has become less common with newer sets, but there are many who have TV's that "lock" into full-screen when they get a 480P signal. My RCA does it and so does the Philips set I have as a loaner right now. On my RCA, you have three options including 4:3 for tv singals, but no such luck with a progessive signal (at least through the component input. My tv has its own Digital Tuner) If you switch to interlaced through the same component input (S-video on the Philips (dumb thing won't take 480i through component), you have options, but with a progressive signal, no matter what you set the TV to it stretches to full width as if watching an anamorphic disc.

At least the new iScan will let me watch non-anamorphic WS DVD's correctly. I wanted a player that could do it, but none of the best de-interlacing players out there seem to offer full-round scaling. I'd have gotten an RP-91, but I have a lot of video-based material and wanted a player that could handle that too. Oh well. I can run everthing through the iScan including broadcast so that should be nice. Unfortunately, I don't believe it has a shift to bump up the image for subtitles that display on the letterbox bars. Too bad they didn't think of that.

At least with my Star Wars laserdiscs (which I'll also be watching with the iScan) I can switch it to regular 4:3 when necessary since I know the few scenes that have subtitles. My RCA HDTV only has 3 display modes, and if you try to use fill mode it overstrecthes vertically killing the geometry (supposedly it works correctly with some digital signals) so the iScan should be nice for laserdiscs and the occasional widescreen TV show like ER and Enterprise or the rare widescreen movie on cable. Unfortunately, I'm not able to get HDTV in my apartment. (Not allowed to mount an antenna or satellite dish and no HD on my digital cable yet.)

Yes, the iScan has a "squeeze" for 4:3 material, so that will be nice for most tv shows. I'll have to use the squeeze for TV since the iScan will output 480P. You can even choose from 3 or 4 shades of side pillars (Black to light grey).

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thoughts on how good the results would be letting the iScan convert the 480i to Progressive instead of the Gamecube doing it itself?

This would all be moot if only my TV had more than one set of Progressive inputs (one of the downfalls of it having a built in HDTV and DirectTV tuner I guess.

I'm going to try it once I get my blasted cable. I'd need ANOTHER cable yet to pass it through.

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by solo88

At least with my Star Wars laserdiscs (which I'll also be watching with the iScan) I can switch it to regular 4:3 when necessary since I know the few scenes that have subtitles. so the iScan should be nice for laserdiscs and the occasional widescreen TV show like ER and Enterprise or the rare widescreen movie on cable.
I am using it with my Star Wars LD's as well and it is terrific for Satellite. I am a hockey nut and the Ultra really does a terrific job on the compression artifacts for the play-off broadcasts. Now if DISH can get their negotiations done with ESPN for HD, I can watch in style. Until then, the Ultra is by far the best picture I have seen for DBS reception. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.