AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with using an iScan Ultra with Samsung DLP? I want/hope to improve my DBS signal and solve the problem of not having a DVI output for my DVD. I own none of this at this time and am trying to figure out the best setup. thanks in advance, Dan

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Which Samsung? All of the current versions use Faroudja DCDi processors which are considered superior to the the Silicon Image Sil504 used in the Ultra. Although the Sil504 is VERY good. It's a matter of opinion for many folks.

And since DBS signal quality is marginal at best (low resolution, low bit rate in most cases) there is little you can do with a black box to make it better.

I think getting your set properly calibrated would yield better results. The HLN617 at our local shop needed it, too red, crushed blacks.

I'm not sure I understand your DVI problem. You want to run DVI to the set and have the video processor convert all inputs to DVI? I think a calibration would serve you better.

All IMHO of course.

-Ian

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I agree with ianken on the most fundamental issue here:

You will not get a picture-quality improvement by doing this. And, even if that statement is wrong -- which it isn't -- your improvement would be too marginal to even contemplate the associated expense and hassle.

Mark

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
Which Samsung? All of the current versions use Faroudja DCDi processors which are considered superior to the the Silicon Image Sil504 used in the Ultra. Although the Sil504 is VERY good. It's a matter of opinion for many folks.

And since DBS signal quality is marginal at best (low resolution, low bit rate in most cases) there is little you can do with a black box to make it better.

I think getting your set properly calibrated would yield better results. The HLN617 at our local shop needed it, too red, crushed blacks.

I'm not sure I understand your DVI problem. You want to run DVI to the set and have the video processor convert all inputs to DVI? I think a calibration would serve you better.

All IMHO of course.

-Ian
While DSS truly falls into that catagory you put all DBS, and your name says it all if you want a dish that can contact Jodie foster in Contact, most of us live in neiborhoods which prohibit lunar landing modules in our back yard, and while CB4 is clearly better and it would have to be at 8 fricken feet accross, the signal on Dish is extremely good for a small dish, and worlds apart from DSS, so I feel to be fair a distinction should be made between **** and kinda smelly shineola. My dad has your dish, but it amazes me how just because every retailer gets paid more for selling DSS, that people actually believe it is equal or in some cases superior, with the latter being typically they have never seen both, but must own NFL ticket. Someday I will have the big boy when I get my house on the lake, but till then I will Dish network all day, and to hell with NFL ticket. At least I get all the coasts which does give me 3 games in both slots most of the time.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ian, I am considering a Samsung HLN 50 and do have Directv sat dish. I had read in a previous post that I should consider or wait for a DVD that had DVI output. I am new to this and am drowning in terms and technologies that I do not completely understand.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by D_B_0673
... I had read in a previous post that I should consider or wait for a DVD that had DVI output. I am new to this and am drowning in terms and technologies that I do not completely understand.
A DVD player that has DVI output makes it possible to send digital information to your "digital" TV with out ever converting to analog.

In the case of the "digital" HLN507, if you use a DVD player with component outputs, the set will have to convert analog back to digital before it can display anything.

I haven't had a chance to see either a DVI DVD player or a HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer) inputing DVD to a "digital" display device. Others here have raved about the great near HD (High Definition) quality.

As for all the acronyms and obscure terms, that's a problem for a lot of us. The "glossary" feature on this web site helps some but it is incomplete. Just read and ask simple questions and you will get the hang of it. If you ask complex questions, I'll be confused.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.