AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Panansonic 42" plasma (previous generation) that is currently hooked up to satellite TV through an iScan Pro. Frankly, for my humble needs, the iScan Pro does well, with one big exception: football games. The motion artifacts are very distracting. :mad:

We are purchasing a Panasonic 37" plasma soon for the bedroom, and I figured that for the type of usage it'll see, I can just move the iScan Pro to the 37" plasma, and buy an iScan Ultra or a Faroudja NRS for the 42" plasma.

My $64,000 question is: will the iScan Ultra correct the "jaggies" on football games, or do I need to go up to a Faroudja NRS to correct them? I guess, put another way, do either of the Ultra or the NRS correct this sort of problem very well, at least perceptively better than the Pro does? My understanding is that the Ultra uses DVDO/Silicon Image's 504 chip, whereas the Pro uses their 503 chip, and that Faroudja's much-vaunted DCDi technology works well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :D

- Mike.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Mdryja:

I’m not familiar with the iScan products, but can confirm that the NRS does a great job at getting rid of the jaggies. As you know, DCDI works with video-based material, so whether it’s a football game or a concert, the results are always good.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
The Panasonics have a pretty good internal scaler, how much of a difference are you seeing in the picture between a direct connection to the source (e.g., component) vs. iScan PRO?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Jim! I'm leaning towards the NRS right now . . .

Ofer, I've never tried the internal scaler. The reason why is that I wanted/needed to minimize the number of cables being fed into the plasma. With an external video processor located by my components, all the video cables from the components are fed into the processor, and then there's just one cable fed into the plasma . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.