AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hooked up my used iscan v2 and it looks great except with some issues using the squeeze mode. I have my analog projector (BD600) in a fixed 16x9 mode and was hoping to use the squeeze feature of the V2 for 4x3 sources. While it works, the lack of any overscan coverage shows some annoying artifacts. The first issue is that the 4x3 squeezed picture seems off to the right a bit. This is confirmed watching a letterboxed laserdisc where the right vertical border of the picture meets up with the gray border bar yet the left does not leaving a small vertical black bar before the gray border bar on the left side. The 2nd issue (more annoying) is for my cable tv sources both far right and far left sides of the pictures have annoying flickering/shimmering vertical artifacts which I assume are masked out by overscan on a regular 4x3 set. If the picture sides met up with the gray border bars they might mask it out but the vertical edges stop before the grey border bars. Anyone have any tips/adjustments/solutions? TIA.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I'm a bit concerned why my image is not centered in squeeze mode and if there are any adjustments I can make? The overscan issue I don't think is 'fixable' again unless I can somehow resize the grey sidebars to overlap the image. TIA.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*bump*

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I suspect it is underscan on the part of the source material. It is llike imagining a DVD picture that occupies pixels 5 through 701 with black or garbage in pixel positions 1-4 and 702-720! The iScan has no way of knowing whether the ragged side edges are not indeed part of the picture.

The TV or de-interlacer providing gray sidebars needs manual electronic matting to custom extend the gray borders to exactly the place the viewer wants.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.