AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying the ISCO 16:9 Video Enhancement lense. I have a few questions about this:

1. Does anybody use this lense and is it any good?

2. Everybody always speaks about the lightimprovement

when using such lenses but isn’t it also an advantage

that the effective resolution increases with this lense?

For example: I use a 800:600 projector. In Cinema mode I use only 0,67%*480.000 = 320.000 pixels. With this lense I will use the full 480.000 pixels (in squeezed format, off course).

Is this correct and if so is this increase in effective resolution visible?

Marco

Holland

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gentlemen,

Do any of you know the aperture for the ISCO II in millimeters? I need to find an anamorphic lens for a 3 chip DLP projector that has a large 60mm opening.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Later, LordHz

-------------------------------------------------

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

-Albert Einstein

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LordHz:
Do any of you know the aperture for the ISCO II in millimeters? I need to find an anamorphic lens for a 3 chip DLP projector that has a large 60mm opening.
The problem is not so much the entrance aperture of the

lens as the exit aperture. Recall that the farther the image is from the projector, the bigger it is... And, the ISCO itself makes the image wider still. Bottom line is that if you're already zoomed all the way out (i.e., biggest image possible) it's very likely you'll get some vignetting (the corners will be cut off/dimmed). On the other hand, if you're zoomed in (small image) then you'll probably be OK. That's what I've found with my D-ILA/ISCO, which also has a big lens.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have had an ISCO I for a year with my DILA. It is a great thing which I would wholeheartedly endorse. I have never regretted owning it, for all the reasons listed.

The bottom line re ISCO vs panamorph: If you have a short throw and a big screen, do the ISCO. If you have a long throw distance, the pana is possibly the better choice.

------------------

ham

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use an ISCO lens with a DILA projector. It works well once

set up correctly. There are apparently two versions of the ISCO 16x9 i.e. ISCO I and ISCO II. I have the ISCO I the ISCO II has a larger aperture and would be a better choice. The other alternative is the soon to be shipped Panamorph. You might search the forum for ISCO to get other opinions.

------------------

Jim Nissen

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Marco,

I have the ISCO I lens and there is a visible improvement in light output. It produces a slightly softer looking picture that reduces the small pixel gap even more.

I've played with the ISCO II lens and it is slightly better than the original lens in all respect with less pincushioning, better clarity, and reduced vignetting.

I haven't yet seen the Panamorph, but it appears to be comparable to the ISCO II in picture quality.

For info, the ISCO I is 1.44:1, while the ISCO II and Panamorph are 1.33:1.

The ISCO lenses stretch the picture out widthwise which is better for short throws or larger screens, while the Panamorph squeezes the picture height and keeps the width constant which is better for already existing installations of non-zoom projectors.

-Dean.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the ISCO II, and it appears to be about a 62mm opening at the entrance. The exit is approximately 104mm. With the focus set for a throw distance of 10.5 feet, the distance from entrance to exit is about 110mm. When focused for a throw of 30 feet, the entrance-to-exit distance is about 103mm or so.

These are very rough numbers, but maybe they'll help if someone wants to do the math.

------------------

Buddy Yaussy
My HT Page

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Lurker #25,

Hopefully I will be able to try this combo out later this week.

My LT-150 is in transit and I'll be definitely trying it out with the ISCO I lens when I get the FPTV.

My guess is that it will work fine, in fact it could be a better pairing that with the ISCO I and D-ILA because with a smaller lens on the LT-150 the image input size will be small into the ISCO I, and the smaller the input image, the less lens distortion (pincushion, vignetting, color shift).

-Dean.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dean, I'm very interested in how this works for you. My viewing situation is a bit odd. In my temporary theater, I'm sitting less than one screen length away. This is close enough for screen door to be visible, which I thought was not an issue with DLP. From what I have read, an ISCO might help. Also, when I get a proper theater room, I will have a ridiculously large screen. I sure could use a bit more brightness in my DVDs.

However, I saw in earlier threads that the ISCO-I could result in severe pincushioning. I had a chance to buy one awhile back, and if you experience is positive, I will see if this opportunity is still available. I look forward to your review!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Silly question time.

Is there a decent dealer for ISCO in the US, and if so does someone have the web site/contact information. I read through several faq's and didn't see any information on this. I know everyone is going to recommend finding a used ISCO I or II, but I actually want to purchase the 3 chip DLP Cinema anamorphic lense.

Any help?

Thanks,

------------------

Later, LordHz

-------------------------------------------------

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."

-Albert Einstein

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.