AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is known malfunction of the 4:3 AR in the crystal image. I believe I have measured it to be exactly 8%. You are doing nothing wrong. Sorry for the bad news.

------------------

Don O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ugh! That makes the Crystal Image scaler

pretty useless in this environment. I sure

did not see this serious deficiency

documented. How could they have goofed up

so badly -- did someone press the wrong

key on the calculator?

Anyway, that means I need to get rid of this

scaler if I can find one that will handle

things properly. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an ISCO-2 which I am using with an

L20 D-ILA projector and Crystal Image scaler. Everything seems fine with one

BIG except:

When I set 4x3 mode, the aspect ratio is

wrong in the resulting image, it is too

wide. Not by a huge amount, but by enough

to be annoying, perhaps 6-9%. Has anyone

else had this problem.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dewar,

your point is valid, but I have not found it a huge limitation as most of the material I watch is letterboxed or 16:9 enhanced (enhanced). The limited 4:3 viewing I engage in, is with DSS. I choose to let my hi def satellite receiver perform the AR and interpolating/scaling to 540p.

Although people who sell the product would not advertise this shortcoming, it was well documented in reviews on this site and SGTHT.

If this is a sticking point for you, consider selling your CI and buying a quadscan. It should be close to a lateral move financially. Do a few searches on the quadscan to find out what its shortcomings are.

Good luck with all

------------------

Don O

·
Premium Member
25,001 Posts
Seems kind of bizarre that they didn't fix it, given all the other updates they did.

Re switching to Quadscan, I thought it was not compatible with anamorphic lenses when trying to display 4:3.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noah,

Doh, I erred. Thanks for the correction. I was so focused on the 4:3 AR issue, I lost site of the Isco lens. Clearly to close to the forrest to see the trees.

If you cannot live with this shortcomings, there are a number of scalers that have this function implemented correctly from what I understand. The Rock+ and Vigatec come to mind first.

Don O

------------------

Don O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don, I switched to the Faroudja Native Rate Plus scaler, and that works perfectly with the D-ILA and ISCO (and also yields a noticably better image than the crystal image). So I am now a happy camper again.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dewar,

I am glad things worked out. Have you noticed a bigger improvement with film or video?

How is the usability of the Faroudja?

Any bugs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don O'Brien
Dewar,

I am glad things worked out. Have you noticed a bigger improvement with film or video?

How is the usability of the Faroudja?

Any bugs?

I see a very noticeable improvement in video. Film varies, in some cases at least

there is noticeable improvement.

The Faroudja is very usable, with a particularly nice interface for trainable IR devices.

So far, I have not seen any problems, and I definitely think

the extra $3K was well spent.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear you are happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.