AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I would post it.

Isco is coming out with what they call "Home Cinema Projection Unit", which is basically motorized mount for their anamorphic lenses. Looks like two versions will be available, one for the standard 16:9 lens and one for the new, larger lens.

The mount can slide the lens out of the way and can rotate the lens 90 degrees.

More info, including diagrams, pdfs, pics and video are on this page:

http://www.iscooptic.de/english/products/hcpu.html

Todd

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Wow, this looks cool. While you're on their web site though, check out the price of the ISCO III (their large-format anamorphic lens)... 4200 Euros! Wow!

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I have owned an ISCOII for over 2 years now and have always wanted something like this.

Is there any indication on cost and availability? Also what does the 90 degree rotation do? I have never rotated mine.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
It looks like this is a whole new lens and can't be retrofitted to the ISCO II lens. If that is correct, then maybe somebody will upgrade and I may be able to pick up a used ISCO II (for a reasonable price). :)

--Darin

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
William

Price list (in euros) is here:

http://www.iscooptic.de/hcpu/preisliste.pdf

3,200 euros for all the bells and whistles (motorized slide and rotation), less without motor/rotation, etc.

I believe the rotation allows you to use the full 16:9 panel to project a 4:3 image.

Darin.

The mount is designed to work with the isco2 along with a version for the bigger isco3, so you will need a plan b. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TotallyODD
William

Price list (in euros) is here:

http://www.iscooptic.de/hcpu/preisliste.pdf

3,200 euros for all the bells and whistles (motorized slide and rotation), less without motor/rotation, etc.
In any case, that's the price without the lens.. (check the "two stars" footnote).

Quote:
I believe the rotation allows you to use the full 16:9 panel to project a 4:3 image.

Darin.
Oh yeah, Nice! One lens to use a complete 16/9 digital panel in either 2.35:1, 4/3 and, of course 16/9.

You just need you hand to presse a button on a remote, and... adjust manually the focus as Sharp's pj haven't a motorized lens. I like this nice and cheap progress :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TotallyODD
...3,200 euros for all the bells and whistles (motorized slide and rotation), less without motor/rotation, etc....
:eek: 3,200 euros without lens :eek: It should have lots of bells and whistles (and maybe a backup LCD projector thrown in). I wish someone had an idea for a simple slide that had a tray that fit the base of the ISCOII.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe the panamorph boys will come to the rescue with a motorized mount for their lens, considerably more affordably of course.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Because the Isco stretches the width of the image to achieve its ratio if using this with a native 16x9 projector you will need a 235:1 scope screen.

I just tried this using my Isco 2 with my Seleco projector on my 9 foot wide Stewart 235:1 screen.

Scenario:

Start with just the projector throwing a 16x9 image in the center of the scope screen. No anamorphic lens in front.

Adding the Isco in front of the projector and you know have a native scope image but the Isco unfortunately also increases the size of the image so you have to use the projectors zoom to adjust picture size to fit the screen.

By rotating the lens 90 degrees gives you full panel 4x3, pretty neat. Again this image is also well over sized from the original starting point using no lens so you will again need to use the projectors zoom shrinking the image to fit the screen.

Also depending on how much off axis your projector is to the screen you will also need to adjust your projectors offset as well. On the seleco it is manual so while the completely remote control of the isco lens is nice most people will still have to get up and make some manual adjustments to the projector if they do not have motorized offset.

The theory is nice though because regardless of what ratio you need you will always be using the projectors full panel resolution.

·
Registered
21,986 Posts
"I just pull mine across the front of the PJ. It takes about 2-3 seconds. Just watched the video off their site. In fact my left arm performs this function perfectly - for free!!" -

That works good Robert unless you have your projector mounted 9'+ above the floor like I do. Which is why these lenses are a no go for me ( going up and down a ladder is bogus ). Having one motorized seems like a good idea ( except for the price )!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William
:eek: 3,200 euros without lens :eek: It should have lots of bells and whistles (and maybe a backup LCD projector thrown in). I wish someone had an idea for a simple slide that had a tray that fit the base of the ISCOII.
Well, if you're into DIY take a look at mcmaster.com Do a search for slides. They have literally dozens of styles and prices. You could make your own motorized slide for considerably less than US$500, non-motorized for around US$100, including paying a machinist to make an couple of adapters to attach everything.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you're real handy, you can build your own motorized mount for around $40 + parts.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1439&catname=

Edit: It just occured tp me I'm not sure how the AC models change direction. I used a 24VDC model instead of that 120VAC model. They're very easy to wire, with a simple polarity reversal to change direction.

I replaced the aluminum Isco base with polypropylene and it slides very smoothly back and forth on another piece of poly underneath. The built-in limit switches stop the unit very accurately each time.

My DC actuator cost $90, but Im sure there must be less expensive ones out there somewhere. The tough part is finding one with adequate throw distance.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
688 Posts
From what I understand, The ISCO is for constant height screen (stretch horizontally) and the Panamorph is for constant width screen (compress vertically)

BTW: I own a Panamorph

Am I right ?

Thanks

Thuan

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarl

Edit: It just occured tp me I'm not sure how the AC models change direction. I used a 24VDC model instead of that 120VAC model. They're very easy to wire, with a simple polarity reversal to change direction.

Cheers,

David
David,

I followed the link. Looks great! :)

It said it was reversible and had built in low voltage control, so I don't think you would have to worry about it being any more difficult to control than a DC unit.

30 seconds for 7" of travel, and a maximum of 15" of travel. Not too bad, but not instantaneous, either.

I do wonder how loud it is.

Really nice specs for the price. Could work for quite a few DIY projects. Thanks for the link.

Best Regards,

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.