AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 57TWX20B ISF calibrated a little over a month ago. I can see great improvement in both HDTV and DVD. However, regular TV channels are considerably worse.

Regular TV channels have the following problems: I have tried fixing the problems with regular settings (sharpness, color, tint, etc.) with no help:

1) Colors seem very flat and not very vibrant on most channels. Color tones on faces with some channels are very bronze like. Colors do seem pretty washed out with regular TV.

2) With most channels, objects in the distance and text are very grainy and blurry in appearance. Certain objects are very pixilated and grainy. My sharpness control does nothing to help this at all – actually can make it much worse.

What's weird is that HDTV and DVD do not appear to have these problems.

I called the ISF person a couple of times and he said he would check it out when he has some time.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated?

There are quite a few channels I can't watch at all because the picture quality is pretty bad.

Comcast Digital/HDTV service w/Motorola 5100

Hitachi 57TWX20B

Panasonic DVD-CP72S

Belden 7710A component video cables used for DVD and HDTV

Regular Comcast TV channels are viewed with regular coax from Motorola 5100 send output (I don’t like the regular TV pictures with component video cables from Motorola 5100)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Use a s-video cable from the cable box to the set for watching non-high def cable. That alone should net you some improvement. Cable is never going to look "great" on it but all the channels should at least be watchable over s-video. Worth a shot anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill try the s-video but I don't think it will change much. And, yes I do understand that DVD and HDTV are much better in quality and regular cable channels will never be that great.

My main point, and I apologize that I didn't make it very clear, is that before the ISF calibration, regular cable channels were much better than they are after the calibration -- colors seem more washed out and bland and objects have a more blurry and grainy appearance (I can’t change these at all with the normal functions (sharpness, color, tint, etc.).

That is the weird part that I don't understand -- the colors and pictures in DVD and HDTV are much better than they were before the calibration - but the regular cable channels are worse. That is the part that I don't understand and I am trying to figure out.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Try watching regular TV with the sport mode or some other mode that the DVD and HD do not use. Make changes as necessary since regular material is irratic.

What exactly did the calibration person do? Just basic grayscale or something more than that?

Regards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Michael,

He had a senscore (sp?) and did greyscale -- he showed me the approx. values of 6500 at the x an y. He also did convergence, but he said he didn't do much there. He also adjusted contrast and brightness but I don't know if that is considered part of greyscale. I think this is all he did, but I could be wrong.

I don't know what else can or should be done?

Heck, the reason I got ISF calibrated in the first place, is because I didn't feel comfortable playing around with the ISF values and I don't understand everything that could and and should be done.

But, I can tell you I am not very happy overall with the outcome. Not worth the money if this is the outcome.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just got a 65XWX20B last week (same tubes as the TWX) and notice considerable fuzziness of focus even with OTA HDTV. I've tightened the convergence as much as I can.

Maybe Hitachis just have softer focus than I want. The HDTV image is definitely sharper than SDTV on the same channel, but still not at all what I'd consider impressive. Anyone else think Hitachi RPTV's just don't have high detail and sharp focus? Can this be corrected? If I can't get a better picture it's going back.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Two flavours of Calibration out there. The ISF basic which is grayscale and maybe some colour decoder stuff ... and the basic user stuff from AVIA or VE.

The more extensive calibration is the "plus" service. Grayscale plus all that other stuff mike listed above as required. Takes about 4 to 6 hours.

One is oil change and the other is a full tune up ... but not all ISF people offer both services nor are they required to do so. The ISF organization trains them to do the oil change ... nothing more.

Regards

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Arwe
I just got a 65XWX20B last week (same tubes as the TWX) and notice considerable fuzziness of focus even with OTA HDTV. I've tightened the convergence as much as I can.

Maybe Hitachis just have softer focus than I want. The HDTV image is definitely sharper than SDTV on the same channel, but still not at all what I'd consider impressive. Anyone else think Hitachi RPTV's just don't have high detail and sharp focus? Can this be corrected? If I can't get a better picture it's going back.
Yes..

It comes with a soft focus...

But.. after calibration it's on of the best in the business.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. I wish I had known this before hand -- live and learn. I think I just got the oil change -- it only took him about 2 hrs.

Just wondering what is the average rate going for "the works" versus just the "oil change"?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mfusick,

I have seen that you recommend Michael and Jim Burns correct?

Michael,

You headed to Indianapolis anytime soon?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.