AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had Kevin Miller([email protected]; from Astoria, Queens, NY), an ISF certified tech at my house. He did a fantastic job and my new XBR400(36") looks great. The colors are perfect. I now see real pinks and yellows. The fleshtones are perfect as he and a colleague have figured out how to solve the "red push" that is prone to Sonys. I highly recommend him and having your XBR400 calibrated. It is money well spent. BTW--by connecting an HD100 to the XBR400 and sending a signal 480i to the component input, the DRC circuit still cuts in. It does not cut in if you send a signal via 480p or 1080i. Also--are just the XBR400's having the four sided black bar problem when receiving HD at 4:3 or are all tvs having this problem ?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Also--are just the XBR400's having the four sided black bar problem when receiving HD at 4:3 or are all tvs having this problem ?
RZ - material that originates in 4:3 and is being broadcast on a digital station at 480p or higher is being broadcast in 16:9 because that is how the station broacasts it. What you're seeing is the original 4:3 material placed inside the 16:9 frame. The HD100 will upconvert the 480p to 1080i on the component output and your XBR will automatically kick into 16:9 on video 5 or 6 when it gets the 1080i input. Hence the 4 sided black bars.

I have the similar "problem" with the DTC-100 hooked to an XBR and on digital stations broadcasting 4:3 material. I just flip over to the S-Video outputs/inputs instead of the component outputs/inputs on the DTC100 and XBR. This allows me to use the full screen and the DRC. Digital station picture quality is excellent even on the S-Video (absolutely clobbers Directv's overcompressed garbage of the same content).

·
Registered
28,290 Posts
ATLPAUL, or anyone equally knowledgeable, I'm getting the DISH 6000 HD receiver with the OTA module delivered this week for use with my 32" XBR400. Can't wait for CBS's HD Masters telecast in a few weeks! I've been concerned that what I thought would be full-screen 4:3 HD broadcasts for network shows and sports will actually have black bars all around, essentially changing my 32" picture into one much smaller. You mention using the s-video input instead of the HD inputs as a way around this and state that the OTA digital picture is excellent. My question is, is it noticeably inferior to the smaller HD image? If so, do you feel the larger picture, filling the whole screen, is a good tradeoff? And finally, I don't suppose there is any way to "fool" the XBR400 into filling the whole screen with a 4:3 HD image via the HD inputs, is there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.