AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my set calibrated by an ISF certified tech. I immediately noticed the picture is much darker than before. Initially I had used VE HD basics on blu ray to set the black level. When I popped it back in to see how the pluge patterns looked after a professional calibration I was surprised. None of the pluge patterns show on the display. This can't be right. I watched closely as the tech used his equipment attached to the HD screen to record output levels, but I can't help but think the black level is still not spot on. Any ISF techs in the forum that can tell me this is no big deal?

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGMAN /forum/post/19563160

I recently had my set calibrated by an ISF certified tech. I immediately noticed the picture is much darker than before. Initially I had used VE HD basics on blu ray to set the black level. When I popped it back in to see how the pluge patterns looked after a professional calibration I was surprised. None of the pluge patterns show on the display. This can't be right. I watched closely as the tech used his equipment attached to the HD screen to record output levels, but I can't help but think the black level is still not spot on. Any ISF techs in the forum that can tell me this is no big deal?

I am not an ISF Calibrator, but I can tell you from experience that the HDMI input in question is probably calibrated correctly. I had a similar experience a couple years ago and it turned out that the output of my Blu-ray player was too low/dark. I ended up having to put it on its own dedicated HDMI input so I could increase the black level to make it correct. Kind of a pain since that also meant that my Blu-ray player could not share the same HDMI input with any other HDMI source.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx sptrout. I just thought these guys would at least test out each HDMI port they calibrated against the source. I'm sure that if he returned with his test generator it would show a perfect calibration given that it is the equipment connected to my HDMI port. Guess I expected more from ISF calibration. I read reviews in the past that these guys would spend hrs testing source materials to ensure all elements of the clients environment are taken into consideration i.e ambient light, components etc... Oh well, at this point I'm wondering if my color and white levels are set accurately. I would say to anyone considering ISF calibration, save your money and tune to the local news and eyeball it.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGMAN /forum/post/19576107

Thx sptrout. I just thought these guys would at least test out each HDMI port they calibrated against the source. I'm sure that if he returned with his test generator it would show a perfect calibration given that it is the equipment connected to my HDMI port. Guess I expected more from ISF calibration. I read reviews in the past that these guys would spend hrs testing source materials to ensure all elements of the clients environment are taken into consideration i.e ambient light, components etc... Oh well, at this point I'm wondering if my color and white levels are set accurately. I would say to anyone considering ISF calibration, save your money and tune to the local news and eyeball it.

The job of an ISF Calibrator is to calibrate each input, plus OTA, to make each of them as close to perfect as possible. They cannot (they could, but shouldn't) check every source item and then modify the TV's input and screw it up to match a poor source. What would happen down the road if you changed things around and the new source was correct? Then your TV would be messed-up. You want the TV perfect. BTW - - This is exactly what happened to me. The TV was calibrated and all worked fine. Later I replaced a DVD player with a Blu-ray player and that is when I discovered that the output of the Blu-ray player was very dark/incorrect.

BTW - - My original comment was just a caution. It is possible that the calibrator made an error on the input that you are having a problem with. Easy to test: 1) connect the player to another input to see if there is any difference, or 2) if you have another player Blu-ray or DVD, do the same thing. You should be able to quickly confirm if the input is wrong or your Blu-ray player is the problem. If you determine that the input is bad no matter what is connected to it then call the Calibrator and request that they comeback and correct the problem. If it is the player, then you can either replace it, or do as I did and connect it to a dedicated HDMI port and then adjust that one TV input yourself. Before making any changes record the settings so you can change them back at some future time if your source equipment changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts