AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, May 10, I had my Pioneer SD-532HD5 calibrated by ISF tech Steve Martin. This is my report:

Steve arrived as promised and got right to work on the RPTV. I asked him if I could observe and ask questions, and of course, he was very polite about this. He paused to answer my questions throughout the job. Although I am not an ISF tech, obviously, I am interested in what goes on in my RPTV!

First Steve took notes on the current condition of the set. He noted the following:

BRIGHTNESS

CONTRAST

COLOR

TINT

SHARPNESS

CONVERGENCE

OVERSCAN

My set passed all of these except for convergence and overscan.

Then Steve went to work on the focus. This process shows you the limits of a basic RPTV vs. a more hi-end Elite model. He did the best he could on the focus and to me it looks amazing, but he explained to me how it could be sharper.

There were also grayscale measurements and temperature issues. I was very interested in the fact that my current color temperatures were around 10,000 instead of the 6,500 that they should be! Steve fixed all that.

The last thing I remember taking place was the extensive service menu work that Steve did. One thing I noticed was the detail setting. This is not available to us outside the service menu. These are not things I would be able to do myself, especially since Steve did much more than just "eyeball" the picture. He took numeric readings to make sure that the picture looked as good as possible.

THE OUTCOME

I am very satisfied with the money spent. It has been said before, but the $350+ you spend on an ISF calibration will improve your picture more than any DVD player or line doubler ever could. The greatest thing about this is knowing that when I watch a DVD, I am seeing the most the set has to offer. The picture may not be perfect, but as far as I am concerned, it's pretty close!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I had no idea that a Wild And Crazy Guy did ISF calibrations! :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Congratulations!

You had a real expert take good care of you, and I know he did a super job! Enjoy your "new" TV!

Chuck

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chuck, that's exactly right. It IS like a new TV! We watched a movie last night and I loved it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.