AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am about to book Greg Loewen for a calibration of my Hitachi 65SWX20b. Right now i use a Panny RP-82 outputting 480p through component.

Before i take the plunge I have a question. I ordered the Bravo 1 dvd player that outputs through DVI and upscales dvds to 480p,720p,and 1080i to see if pq-wise its better than the RP-82. Now of course the Hitachi natively does 540p and 1080i. My question is if i decide to use the Bravo(or any future players with this feature)do i have Greg calibrate for 480p since the upscale isn't a true 1080i hi-def signal or do i have him calibrate at 1080i?

Second when calibrating is it only calibrated on the input(in this case only for dvi) or is that irrelevant and actually the calibration is for one of the "modes"...ie movie,sports.news,etc. And if this is the case then it wouldn't matter i assume whether dvi,component,etc as long as you stayed consistant with the resolution that was calibrated and the mode.

Thanks in advance guys just trying to sort this all out.......

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The TV's grayscale can be assigned to any of the three color temp settings. Each can be redefined to be correct for the signal type in question.

No TV's out there really permit calibration by input ... it's input signal type ... not input.

So if your TV has 10 individual inputs ... you cannot have 10 calibrations done. It doesn't work like that.

At most, it's one for 480i, one for 480p and one for 1080i ... that's it.

When doing grayscale for DVI ... the test signals should be sent through the DVI ...

Most people get the standard mode set for 480p stuff aka their DVD player and set medium temp to match the needs of HD.

Regards

·
Registered
504 Posts
You will be happy, Gregg did a great job on my 65xwx. I'm currently using a Panasonic RP-91 dvd player with component and a Sony HD-200 with DVI. This requires a brightness adjustment when changing sources, other than that all is fine. Please post back on your Bravo experience.

Ken

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:
At most, it's one for 480i, one for 480p and one for 1080i ... that's it.
Except for the 30 series Pioneer sets ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks Michael TLV. Basically i guess i do have to pretty much decide whether the Bravo through dvi is better than my Panny RP82 since grayscale for dvi is seperate. Hmm wish i had the cash to get both calbrated.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.