AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am organizing an ISF Calibration tour of Denver by Louis Carliner. He will calibrate my Pioneer 610 plus 3-5 other sets during a week in mid-April to beginning of May. The group will cover Louis's travel costs (around $450 to 700) in equal shares based on the number of participants. Louis will established fixed fees in advance for each configuration, not hourly rates. I will be taking non-refundable deposits of $200. If you are interested, send email to me ([email protected]) describing your configuration and any special circumstances. Please let me know the make and model of your set, the sources in your system, and the connection types between each. I will be doing a group buy on materials prior to the tour so if you want Louis to install Duvetyne, let me know. You will also be likely responsible for housing Louis for one evening, treating him right, and driving him to his next stop. If you want an outline of his work, see http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/F...ML/001497.html

I will not be posting Louis's fees to this thread. These are very dependent on the configuration and customer preferences.

Louis is well-respected and guarantees satisfaction. Again, send email to [email protected] if you are interested.

Thanks,

zephyr (aka Rodney)

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I haven't had my Elite 610 calibrated yet but I've been making a checklist (mentally at least) of items that I want addressed with an ISF calibration. Here's the list (in my situation). Let's discuss the pro's and cons of each or maybe adding/deleting items:

Black (Duvetyne) lining of the projection cavity
Manual Focus
Electrical Focus
Geometry

- Full Mode

- Natural Wide

- Cinema Wide

- Zoom
Convergence

- Full Mode

- Natural Wide

- Cinema Wide

- Zoom
Color/Greyscale

- Input 1 (HD-STB)

- Input 2 (Progressive DVD)

- Input 3 (S-Video)

- I'd probably opt to have only 2 of the 4 (standard, movie, game, user) selections calibrated (ISF and daytime use...)
Zero all settings in the user (non service) mode to establish new baselines references.

Did I leave anything out, or go overboard?

NOTE: Edited to correct the error Zephyr noted below..

------------------

Geof

[This message has been edited by Geof (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Louis will be able to do all of that plus overscan adjustment, completely disabling SVM, further enhancing/reducing sharpness control beyond the abilities of the customer user menu, and probably other things that we have not yet listed here.

Geof's earlier posting has confused color temperature settings (B&W, Film, Standard, Live, News) with Configuration settings (standard, movie, game, user). In place of any color temperature settings, I expect we will have superbly calibrated greyscale. For the configuration memories, I would like one mode for true-ISF, one for daytime viewing, one optimized for Dish standard definition, etc. I believe Louis will be able to accomplish this for Pioneer 510/610/710 sets, which Geof and I both have. Other sets may have different capabilities for color temperatures and configuration memories.

Zephyr

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John and others,

I edited my initial post to remove the mistaken period from the hyperlink. Click away to see Louis's work.

Zephyr

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Geof's earlier posting has confused color temperature settings (B&W, Film, Standard, Live, News) with Configuration settings (standard, movie, game, user).
Thanks, I couldn't remember the various modes (I don't use them much). I'll go back and fix up the post.....

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Bumping to the top. We need 1 or 2 more folks. Remember, this will be a top notch calibration from a well respected (nationally famous) ISF certified calibrationist. If you're interested please email Zephyr. Thanks to Zephyr for setting this up.

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
The fact is that Louis can do as little or as much as you like. If you're only interested in a basic ISF cal then the ISF folks around here are probably suitable (assuming they have experience with your set). If you want to go beyond a basic cal then this is an opprotunity to have you set cal'd by one of the best in the business anywhere in the country.

Personally, as much as I like my 610, it does suffer from overscan, geometry distortion, halo's, focus could be sharper, etc. I suspect when all is said and done most of our sets suffer from these types of issues, and most of these problems can be tweaked out. It takes time and time is money but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Then again if these issues don't bother you this calibration probably isn't for you...

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Folks,

We can still add your setup to the tour if you are interested. Louis will likely be here the last week of April. Fees for the calibration will range from $350-$750 depending on your TV set's flexibility and your own personal goals. All parties will equally split Louis's airfare of approximately $430---so add on $70 to $100. We will get you a firm price quotation before you make your deposit. The fee will include all labor and materials.

If you want to participate these are the things I need to know in your email:

Name (duh!)

Phone Number

City/Suburb where you and the TV are located

Email address

Make and model of TV set

Make and model of doubler/processor if front projecting arrangement

Make and model of DVD player (is it progressive scan?)

Whether you can cover all windows and doors to make room completely dark or if it is necessary to schedule some of the work at night due to skylights, etc.

Whether or not you want Duvetyne lining

Your questions or concerns for Louis

I want to reiterate that I stand to make not one thin dime from this tour. I'm just the coordinator for Louis's talents here in Denver. I want my Pioneer 610 to perform top-notch and I'm willing to pay for the results not only with my money but also in the time necessary to organize this tour. And believe me---this has already taken more time than I thought it would!

So if you live in Colorado's front range and want your set ISF calibrated by a master, let me know!

Zephyr

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 03-31-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If any of you are comparing prices to what Kevin Miller is doing on the Michigan ISF tour, please be aware that Louis is willing and able to perform a more complete set of services on this trip. Example: Duvetyne lining of the projection cavity. As expected, this costs more because Louis will be spending more time at your location to do these things. If you check out the Michigan thread, there are a number of services that will not be performed to make the scheduling easier and the price uniform. That should not be a constraint here in Denver.

Zephyr

·
Registered
202 Posts
Any of you guys know a high quality, local (Denver) professional who can do color calibration for LCDs (Sony 10HT)?

thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RJS -

No, I don't. This is why I'm bringing in a master to calibrate my Pioneer RPTV. If you want me to ask Louis if he is able to calibrate your Sony 10HT LCD, send me an email.

Others -

The tour is filling up--if you want in, let me know pronto as all arrangements will be solidified over the next 2 days.

Zephyr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.