AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an elementary question, which may depend on the particular warranty wording, but I would like to know the answer.

Does an ISF Calibration void a manufacturers warranty or an extended warranty? That is, by opening the unit up and adjusting internal parts by a "non-approved" service provider, e.g. not a manufacturer's authorized repair person violate the warranty?

I own a Sony 50XBR800 that would benefit from an ISF calibration.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have heard that Mitsubishi does. But many don't, in fact with much consulting on the matter, it is becoming more widely accepted by manufacturers. Hitachi flaunted it with their ISF mode, and even Pioneer announced at CEDIA that they are going to provide an ISF Day, and ISF Night modes, that really caters to the ISF technician. Runco, of course, goes even beyond that, and shows their dealer/installlers how to calibrate. They have even hired a professional calibrator (yours truly) to come in for the monthly trainings, and demonstrate how to properly calibrate their displays.

On your particular set, I would not worry too much, as the calibration is done completely from the service menu. The menu system is the same as all the other Sony set's, so your ISF tech should have no problem if this is their first GW. I would however check to see that they have an all display colorimeter, or a spectroradiometer.

If you tell me what area you are in, I may be able to refer you a qualified tech. There are even some ISF tech's that double as a Sony authorized repair center, so you can be sure that your bases are covered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.