AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Martin, ISF technician is coming to set up the home theater video in one week. I am really not too much of a techie, so I could use some advice on what to have done.

Steve's website is:

http://www.smartcalibration.com/

He lists all of his services offered there. Now, don't rain the fire of detest on me, but I am using a Pioneer RPTV (sorry, FPJ owners!)... I am thinking that Duvatyne is a big plus. I'm not bashful about spending the cash to get a terrific picture, but this is a dedicated movie setup, no HDTV, no OTA programming, no VHS, etc. I run a Panasonic RP56 via component cables to the Pioneer SD-532HD5 RPTV.

I am also wondering if I should have the screen removed. No one or no thing goes into this room except for humans (no pets, we don't have kids) so it would be safe to remove it, but I just wonder if there is much benefit.

Your feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Steve is one of the founders of current tweaking ...

Just leave him alone when it comes to calibration ... he knows what to do and will do it very well.

Don't try to armchair quarterback this.

One would hope though ... that you already have some idea about all that he will do ...

More than basic oil change?

Regards

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael, I do have an idea. He wants to do the full tweak. I just wonder if it is all worth it.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

No one except yourself can answer that. If you don't think it is worth it ... tell steve to go away and he will.

The big thing here is that neither Steve nor myself nor anyone else should be able to promise you anything in terms of gains ... because we do not know what your set looks like.

We only know what the finished product looks like ... the finish line.

However, there is no way we can assess where the starting line is for your set ... certainly not over the phone or internet.

If we strive for 100% ... and that is the finish line ... how can we tell if your set starts out at 50% or 98% without seeing it first hand. If you think the TV already looks good ... question is ... does "looks good" for you mean the same for us?

No way we can know that unless we can crawl into your head and see with your eyes. Which we can't.

Can you see the difficulty in determining if it is all worth while? It is pretty subjective ... although there are enough testimonials out there from others to suggest that it should be worth it.

Most see a difference by the end of the session ... but it is darn near impossible to quantify this difference.

And remember ... in the audio world ... some think that even a 2% improvement to the music is well worth the extreme cost ...

I suggest this for you ...

Assuming that you are intimately familiar with what your TV image looks like ... ask Steve to point to a near by client who is willing to show you what his set looks like. (Hopefully another pioneer) Then go look ... and if you cannot see a difference between the sets, then this type of service is not for you.

Ask Steve this ... I am certain he would be agreeable to this ...

Regards

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael, I am totally convinced that the calibration is worth it, but I don't know what some of the additional calibration services do to the picture. For example, focus: What does that improve? I mean, you guys may think I am a Joe SixPack for asking these questions, but I just want to understand my purchase.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Think of focus as a double check ... is it as good as it can be? If it is ... then nothing lost ... but if not ...

It is like getting a new prescription for glasses after wearing the existing one for 10 years ...

You may not have noticed that things were out of focus a bit, but once fine tuned, the crispness of objects is just so much better. Same with the TV.

I have heard comments from people that thought their images looked nice ... but a quick visual inspection told me that they had severe focus issues ... but they did not know that and certainly did not know what to look for.

When it was fine tuned ... and dialed in ... wow. And remember ... this is more than just convergence too.

If you have more questions ... fire away here ... but also suggest that you visit the Keohihdtv site to learn more about the various tweaks that are available.

Regards

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about Duvatyne? What is the real benefit of this lining in the cabinet?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about extensive geometry?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Duvetyne ... jury is hung over this issue. Some say they can see a difference, others like myself cannot. If you want to do it ... do it on your own time and save the cash.

Geometry ... depends on how bad the current state of affairs is. Fo me, I just eyeball the geometry and that has been plenty good for my clients. For me ... in the end analysis, we look at real pictures and not grids. A good eyeball can get you pretty bloody close.

It's also a no win situation because the TV limits how good we can get geometry. Sometimes there are things you just cannot fix ... and if you are paying someone to do that ... everyone loses ...

You get mad because they can't make it perfect.

They are in a tough spot because the TV is not perfect.

Regards

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael, thank you very much for your information. I think I know what I need now.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about mechanical focus and getting the protective screen removed?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thanks Michael,

I wish I had run into the thread to chime in sooner, but everything you have said is right on target. I think Michael addressed the mechanical focus issue just fine above but as to the protective screen, it somewhat depends on your lighting conditions and viewing habits. If you almost always watch in a pitch black room and don't every notice reflections of things then by all means, leave it in. If, however you have windows, people reading with a lamp next to you, etc. and feel like you are looking in a mirror half the time then you probably want it removed.

I'll add that I consider Duvatyne to be one of the more subtle tweaks. Part of that is because I don't enjoy doing it as much as the other parts of a calibration ;). But truthfully, it is tough since it is hard to do an A->B comparison and so much else is done during a calibration that it is hard to judge what is the contribution of the Duvatyne. I don't recommend for or against it, but ask my customers to research it and decide for themselves if they want to have it done.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Adding Duvetyne makes a big difference, if the interiors are not dark enough and there is plenty of reflection.

I helped in adding duve fabric to 2 sets and in one case it made a noticeable difference wrt blacks while in the other set it was subtle (you had to change Avia settings again ;))

Keohi website explains how to do it and this is a low-tech mod which can create good impact ;)

If anyone is going for calibration, I would always recommend a full-blown calibration :)

Patrick-the $$ you spend will be worth it-and you have an excellent/experienced hands to do it ;)

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. Anyone else have some words to chime in with?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grey, give me a few days and I will post about the experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.