AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With tax refunds coming it's time for an upgrade.

Since I can't do everything I'd like, choices must be made. I'll have about $600 to play with, so would you...

Get my 46" Sony RPTV ISF callibrated-

or

Upgrade my Energy Take 5.2 speaker system with the 8" Energy Sub to an SVS 25-31 PCi-

Which do you think would make the better upgrade?

Is ISF or SVS more important to the home theater experience. Understand I'll probably do the other choice down the road, but which would make the biggest wow. Bear in mind I'll have to justify this expense to the wife- so which upgrade will she notice more is also an important question.

I'm posting this in the Speaker forum too just to get the feelings from that group as well.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd go for the ISF calibration. When I had my Toshiba TW40X81 calibrated a few years ago, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was off the charts. It's amazing what an improvement in picture quality an accurate grayscale and color temperature look like on a RPTV.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I concur with the previous opinions.

Although SVS makes some great subs (I have a CS-Ultra and will be buying another in June) they won't give you the kind of WOW factor that a good ISF calibration will.

Ken

·
Registered
748 Posts
Heh, coincidence that the opinions here are exactly opposite what they were in the speaker forum? Nah! :)

I still say get the SVS now and the ISF later but definitely do both. I love the look of an ISF'd set but the SVS had a much more noticable and immediate impact on my home movie watching experience and equally great impact on music listening. I no longer have the set that I had ISF'd but I intend to have my current one done eventually. I've tweaked it to the point that nothing bothers me with this one but I still see some room for improvement for when I have some extra cash to spend on it.

For what it's worth, my gf at the time thought I was nuts when I paid for the calibration. She could see the difference but it was minor in her eyes. Even the neighbors noticed the dual SVS subs though. THUMP THUMP THUMP! :D

Edit: By the way, the subs make the couch vibrate. That might be worth noting for the WAF. lol

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by K_Thompson
I concur with the previous opinions.

Although SVS makes some great subs (I have a CS-Ultra and will be buying another in June) they won't give you the kind of WOW factor that a good ISF calibration will.

Ken
when I bought my RPTV I looked at all sizes, and concluded that below 57 inches it wasn't even like a movie experience, and with the HD and good DVD it seems when a good set the old the smaller gets a tighter picture argument has gone away when you get below that, because the pictures seem move vivid with the movie experience also on the sizes that do give that real movie experience. this means that when a guy already went not just 55 or 52 or 51 inch, but all the way down to 46 inch- stretch to even call it a big screen, how much benefit will that person get from calibrating that level of set? It is like refurbing a radio shack amp , it just seems likethat type of listener may not get what you would get out of a more serious set.

Sub woofer thumps for music also too, so while I agree in theory to what you say, when I see a 46 inch set, I think na.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.