AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hitachi 61SWX01W seems to have a lot of light leakage inside... I don't know how to describe it, but to say that when a scene should have black areas, they are just gray,...

Also,.... in what is supposed to be a dark area in the picture, you can see sort of flashes of green light... it looks like...like when another area of the picture is bright, it is very noticeable... Does anyone know what I'm talking about ?

Is this something that can be fixed by an ISF tech ?..

Or does the TV have to go back...I have 2 weeks to decide....

If it can be fixed by an ISF calibration ...

Does anyone know of a good ISF tech in South Florida ?

Thanks

Shelly

[This message has been edited by shelly40 (edited 04-23-2001).]

·
Registered
731 Posts
Have you calibrated your TV with AVIA or Video Essentials? It sounds like the contrast could be very high (they come that way usually) causing excessive light, etc.

If you have calibrated it, maybe you should have a ISF tech take a look. Louis Carliner is in Florida (though I don't know how close to you) and has an excellent reputation as a ISF tech. You can reach him at: [email protected]

He is leaving town on the 25th for a calibration tour in the Denver area, so keep that in mind if you email him.

You may also find some good tips on Errol's site at: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

Roger

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply...

I did calibrate the set with Video Essentials...

Bright scenes look terrific on DVD and HD.

It's the dark scenes that look bad..

Flashes of green, blue, and red light in dark areas of the picture...circles, or rectangles mostly...

I think this set is going back....

Oh boy.... Time to go shopping again.. Gotta find a new set...

Any recommendations ? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Shelly

·
Registered
756 Posts
Which one to buy? All depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to spend about the same amount, or less, the Panasonics seem to be a really good deal now.

If you want to upgrade, by a couple thousand, you may want to consider 9" CRT tubes instead of the 7" tubes you now have on the Hitachi. Although the greater size tubes are mostly there for a brighter picture, the definition is still better.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If your RPTV is overscanning excessively light can overspill the screen internally and cause the reflective effects that you describe. Reducing overscan will help and the service menu will ordinarily have a feature for adjusting electronically generated black panels that "cover" the remaining unseen picture edges to prevent this. An ISF tech can do this for you.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
731 Posts
It does sound like something is wrong with the set. As for recommendations, I own a Toshiba TW65H80 and like it very much. That said, I'd think about what you watch mostly. If you watch a lot of cable or Satellite, you should try for a set with a good doubler. Most comparisons I've read rank the doublers of the three most popular HD sets as: 1) Pioneer Elite (510, 610, or 710). 2) Mitsubishi. 3) Toshiba.

The newest Toshibas (65H80, 56H80, 40H80) are suppossed to have 3:2 pulldown now (though you can't really tell from the advertising). I like the Toshiba sets because there is so much tweaking information available (see Errol's site, link in previous post).

You are in Florida, so maybe you can go to a Sound Advice where they have a few sets running the HD demo loops (not all Sound Advice stores have this setup though).

Have fun,

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger Clark (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input

I guess I want to spend about $4000 tops...

Which sets have 9" tubes ? any in that price range ?

Roger... I was seriously thinking of the 65H80...

An ISF guy I spoke with recommended that set to me...

I did go over to Sound Advice and they didn't have the 65H80... they said it was a special order item.. and couldn't come close to the price I got elsewhere.... They had the 65X91, but I don't need the built in DirecTv receiver....and it was more than $4600 anyway...

I guess I'm leaning towards the 65H80... I can get it for $3200...

I watch mostly DirecTV... How good is the line doubler in the Toshiba ? How are the line doublers in the Mitsubishi sets ? Which is better.... AHHHHHH !!! My head is gonna explode !!!

ok... back to reality....

I know just about any set will look great on HD, and DVD, but regular DirecTv programming is an issue too...

Oh well.... back to the stores...

Thanks all...

Shelly

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the Mitsubishi 65857.... Looked pretty nice...

What is the "red push" I've been hearing about ? Are there any other issues with this set ? or the Toshiba 65H80 ?

I can get either the Toshiba 65H80 or the Mitsubishi 65857 for the same price.. $3298..Which one should I go with ?

Thanks

Shelly

[This message has been edited by shelly40 (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Red push ? Anyone ? What is it ?

Also.... can the red push problem be fixed with an ISF calibration ?

I was going to get it calibrated anyway...

Thanks

Shelly

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Red Push is a color decoder error. I don't believe this years Mit's can be adjusted for this (but I own an Elite and don't follow Mit's issues too closely). Yeringto "invented" an attenuator to compensate for this problem. You can find more about Mit's sets and issues on the Home Theater Spot Mitsubishi forum here .

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup... Just a little less though, If I decide to go with the Toshiba...

The Mitsubishi 65857 was marked for $3600, but with the problems I've had with the Hitachi I'm going to return, they said they will just swap it even up.... and I paid $3298 for the Hitachi....

Not sure which to get.... such decisions....

Of course,,, now that I'm selling my old TV instead of giving it to my mom......that'll be at least $1200 in my pocket.... maybe I could get an Elite 610...... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Shelly

·
Registered
26 Posts
My fried bought Mitsu 65857 in February and he had it ISF calibrated by Chuck Wiliams two weeks later. The set looks great and the Red Push is not that big of a problem. Just my two cents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.