AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had CRTs set up for uniform temps etc but wonder if Plasmas can benefit from a similar approach. I have the AVIA discs etc if that will get me the optimal pick.

Advice on need and suggestions on someone good with a Panny 42" in the DC area would be appreciated.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
in my opinion, it should not be necessary- many of the calibration functions such as convergence are not applicable to a plasma: if you have a new 42 Panny, you should run Avia yourself to check it and do the basics(brightness, tint, etc)to suit and that should be all you need

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Yes Joel...

I agree (of course) that there is a wholly good calibrating frontier unveiling before us around the new plasmas, henceforth.

About the new generation of plasma, as far as I can vouch for from CEDIA's plasmas', the NEW AGE starts with the advent of the Fujitsu 5002. For sure.

In other words since this monitor is the first Near Broadcast grade P display I have seen...

Let's not mislead future readers with the fruitless dissectation of lesser plasmas' calibration. I invite that the central dissertation evolve around caliubrating the F 5002... Spare me the lamentation speech Dr. URUSHI.

Let's exploit the 5002 fujitsu's paradigm shift to find out everything about it calibration wise...

My humble request.

Caveat]

This is not a comercially motivated endorsement. It is the EVENTFUL handing out of an "OSCAR" to the first great looking 50" plasma.

Peter Mopntoulieu

·
Registered
604 Posts
CINERAMAX -

I toss my hat into the ring and will consider any potential tweaks and grayscale calibrations of my Fujitsu 5002.

Thusfar I am being thwarted by Fujitsu in my efforts to obtain a service manual. They apparently do not sell them to plebeians.

I guess twenty years of UNIX hacking qualifies me as a Luddite and I must simply accept what they offer. Not. Great set, lame policy and I'll leave it at that.

I would like to make sure the basics are in place before diving into the DVI interface, etc. The color decoders are very, very close but grayscale is something which sets the palate so I need to know that is calibrated before proceeding.

Dr Urishi? That's pretty funny but also invites flames so I'll just stand on the side and hold the coats.

By the way, I fed the machine a Superbit DVD the other night and it continues to amaze me - how much color fidelity and detail this format can provide. In a word, yikes.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Fujitsu PDS-5002 looks best when calibrated to D6500 at 40% to 50% gray. It will track pretty closely from pure black to 100% white after that calibration. More to come later.

Always set up a plasma for best grayscale before doing anything else to it.

Pete

·
Registered
368 Posts
Okay, so we need to calibrate grey scale. The question is how. From what I understand not that many ISFs or other professionals have the right equipment to calibrate a plasma.

I'd love to have my Panny 50 done, but there's no one in the Houston area with the expertise. Perhaps NYC and LA have the right people, but what about the rest of us?

Leslie

·
Registered
604 Posts
leslie -

no one yet has stepped up to calibrate my 5002. That includes the folks at Fujitsu who developed facial tics when I requested a service manual.

You are correct in speculating the major metro areas will produce such a person or organization before the rest of us. 450 miles to LA from home so I am ruling out LA.

If I can get my hands onto the service manual I can cover my unit.

Maybe CINERAMAX has some suggestions?

regards,

patrick

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Must be being translated....

It is a good thing to know that they do not have it readyt for consumption.

I wonder if I plaaced an order for 30 units if they would supply one?

Those are great news about the 5002 tracking steaduily if grayscale is set to 40-50%. Vielen Danke namesprachen!

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
This morning I had a call from Dr. Todd who was the first one to validate Patrick Hincks 5002's visual prowess.

I was informed that apparently there was not such a big 5002 acquisition fest as I had previously surmised from the PLASMA RAT GANG.

Plasma Rat T-shirts will be 25.00 at the CES Hilton Party.:)

Speaking On behalf of the "TRINI-CLONE PLASMA Rats I am sorry that I may have had hurt the feelings of the Dr. Urushi camp plasma rats. That being said I wanted to share an anecdote of the conversation with Dr. Todd.

His comment of the cuff was to express his support for my awarding the 5002 the BEST PLASMA OSCAR. He admired my bravado, But I didn't know you guys shifted to the Urushi at the last minute.

None-the-ramble, Last night I was looking for a comparative visual experience to DESCRIBE my eNCOUNTERing the 5002 image's FORTUITOUSLY DURING NUMEROUS CEDIATIC OCCASIONS.

Since Brett Mentioned the picknic table. Ah le picinique !

I remebered seeing the ASACA SHIBASOKU HD MONITORS at NAB years past.

This company made the best damn HDTV broadcast monitors during the 90's, now they have morfed inot an HDTV instrumentation company.

Their $65,000 direct view monitors where the best frigging image at NAB.

The program shown was basquets of fruit and cheese posing atop piciic tables.

SO... Last night I was going to state that the 5002 remided me of an ASACA SHIBASOKU'S in your face picnic HDTV pictureS.

Dr. "OH MY GAWD"todd mentioned to me IN tODAYS CONVERSTION THAT THE "tRini-clone" 5002 WAS THE FIRST PALSMA TO REMIND HIM OF A PANASONIC BROADCAST hdtv MONITOR.

THAT IS SOMETHING.

TBC...

·
Registered
272 Posts
What strategies have people adopted for doing grayscale calibration on plasmas? There isn't much light output below say, 10 IRE, and very little difference between 80 and 100 IRE.

I found that the Fujitsu PDS 4242 is easy to set to D6500, except that the setting didn't seem too stable. After a few minutes, it would move down, say, 200 degrees.

I'm getting excellent images overall.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How would ISF calibration apply to using a Faroudja NRS to output to a Pioneer 503CMX?

Michael

·
Registered
604 Posts
Michael M -

you probably should poke around the forum, or the greater net, and find out about the supreme importance of grayscale to the rendering of all images - plasma, LCD or CRT.

The basic black and white image needs to be just that, black and white, at all important brightness (IRE) levels. If the black/white image starts to become reddish or bluish at a given brightness level, you can only imagine what this same incorrect rendering does to a color image.

So even though color decoder accuracy is important, grayscale is the foundation for great color images.

ISF calibration = setting grayscale to 6500 Kelvin at 15-20 brightness levels. The rest is important but secondary to this.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
282 Posts
Does anyone know where I could find a good expert to do an ISf calibration.

I live in NJ about 35 mins outside of NYC. I've tried some of the local speciality a/v dealers -- but noone seems to want the work as I did not purchase he equipment from them

Michael

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks Ken for the reccommendation -- I will check with them

Michael

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.