AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the story was, that the main reason that Microsoft doesn't want to have wireless internet built into the 360, is because they don't want to be locked into an outdated standard for Wi-Fi. But if that was really the case, then wouldn't they be releasing updated versions of the Wi-Fi adapter? They should have one that works withh N routers for a much faster speed.

Cause if they aren't going to actually follow up, and do what they are talking about, then they really should just put the wi-fi feature built into the 360, cause it's really annoying to have to get it seperately. I don't mind them keeping it external if they really are going to release new versions of it, that take advantage of the newer technology, but right now, that just seems more like a convienent excuse to not have it built in like their competition.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/14195657

I think it was to keep cost down since everyone doesn't need it.

Yeah, but if they really want to hit the mass market, they need to have wi-fi built in, cause alot of people don't run wires everywhere. The hardcore online gamers do, but the general consumer is fine with having a wi-fi router and not running wires in their attics, etc, etc.

Everytime somebody from Kotaku or something asks Aaron Greenburg or Major Nelson about it, the first thing to pop out of their mouths in defense of not having built in wi-fi, is that they don't want to be locked into an outdated standard. Yet their wi-fi adapter only works with G routers and A + G routers, they don't work with N routers or anything else. So if they really want to play the "We don't want to be locked into an outdated standard" card, then they should actually follow through and have a new version of the adapter that takes advantage of N routers.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It seems to work with B routers since mine is a B routers. I don't think they need to update because it doesn't seem like N is really doing much as far as mass market. People just go to the store and pick up a wireless router. Plus N isn't really needed except for the hardcore doing HD streaming. I think the common person is still a ways away from having a setup like that.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/14195844

It seems to work with B routers since mine is a B routers. I don't think they need to update because it doesn't seem like N is really doing much as far as mass market. People just go to the store and pick up a wireless router. Plus N isn't really needed except for the hardcore doing HD streaming. I think the common person is still a ways away from having a setup like that.

Last time I went to Best Buy, it seemed all they had were N routers.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/14196030

Last time I went to Best Buy, it seemed all they had were N routers.

the main problem with that is you're shopping at best buy for anything other than first week movies.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Any N router should support G devices. Also, an N adapter for the 360 would only give you a speed boost for a local network - any incoming/outgoing broadband is going to be slower than a G anyway.

·
Registered
574 Posts
N Wireless won't even get ratified till late 2009 they are saying now. They might not even ratify it until the next Xbox comes out. Then maybe the new Xbox may have it built internally. Really no need to change the current adapter.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Sorry Anthony1, that was a BS excuse. They did it so they can charge $100 for a part that cost them about $3 to make, just like the hard drive and memory card prices.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 /forum/post/14198518

N Wireless won't even get ratified till late 2009 they are saying now. They might not even ratify it until the next Xbox comes out. Then maybe the new Xbox may have it built internally. Really no need to change the current adapter.

So in other words, the excuse of not wanting to be strapped to an old standard is complete crap. So put the damn Wi-Fi adapter inside it internally already. I mean really....

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
i like it how it is, i dont want to pay ANY price for some piece of crap i dont need.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
well, you can get N bridges, too.

I too don't want to pay for Wifi if I don't have to. I'd prefer even my PS3 didn't have it as it may have been $20+ cheaper.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/14199617

i like it how it is, i dont want to pay ANY price for some piece of crap i dont need.

You really think Wii and PS3 owners are paying a big extra amount because of the built in wi-fi? Please. Don't be an MS apologizier. Face it, the fact that Wi-Fi isn't built in is totally bunk, and nothing more than a pure profit grab on MS's part.

Adding internal Wi-Fi to the Wii and PS3 might make it cost about 3 bucks more to produce, if that. Believe me, if Wi-Fi added 20 bucks to the cost of manufacturing, the Wii wouldn't have it build in. Nobody is more greedy than Nintendo.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14198572

Sorry Anthony1, that was a BS excuse. They did it so they can charge $100 for a part that cost them about $3 to make, just like the hard drive and memory card prices.

True, its called making money on your product. They charge for LIVE too, so feel free to get riled up about that too.

But you can use any wireless device with the 360 that will interface with a USB port, your logic is about as flawed as it can get. I've run my 360 with my Wireless B USB adapter, cost...$12 bucks. You aren't locked into a $100 adapter by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Like what was said before, I think it's good they sell it separately because to those who don't want or need it won't be paying for it within the cost of the system. If Sony wants to add it in to the console and raise the price, good for them.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14204506

It's called nickel and diming because you lost billions of dollars on your previous failed console.

Right. And Microsoft is desperate to make that money back on WiFi adapters and overpriced HardDrives.

·
Registered
426 Posts
and the point of a N-router would be? G is more than fast enough to handle xbox live over an internet connection. you can easily pwn Halo noobs at speeds slower than 54 Mbit/s
. media streaming? not exactly for the "general consumer" that you speak of. could AVSers make use of N? of course. i know I would. but we definitely aren't general consumers.

btw, i really think that wireless G cannot be considered "outdated" until the a new standard is certified.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i would confidently say that 90% of the people that use N routers don't need them. it's a fact that wireless G is way more than the average person needs, and i would say that 75% of the people that use wireless G could switch to wireless B and not notice a difference at all...

it's a fact that people will buy whatever technology is current, even though they don't need it. it's like the people that have a 1080p HDTV, but don't have a Blu-ray or HD DVD player to support it, which defeats the whole purpose of a 1080p HDTV...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts