AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always curious to see all of these great HDTV deals come up with black Friday and such, and the scramble to get a shiny new TV for Christmas. With CES 2011 just right around the corner, isn't this the worst time to buy a new TV? It seems that the manufacturers will most assuredly introduce some new technology that will at least make people "think" that the 2010 TV sets are obsolete. Don't you all think it would be best to wait just a few more weeks to see what CES 2011 has to offer?

I know that there is always the argument that one can always wait for the next best thing, but buying RIGHT BEFORE the next best thing is announced seems like the wrong time unless you just can't live without.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Announced but not sold until roughly 6 months later. Some are showcase that never see the light.

So it depends what consumer you are. If you go for high end stuff or the next big thing then it is worthwhile to wait

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjonny1 /forum/post/19606777

I am always curious to see all of these great HDTV deals come up with black Friday and such, and the scramble to get a shiny new TV for Christmas. With CES 2011 just right around the corner, isn't this the worst time to buy a new TV? It seems that the manufacturers will most assuredly introduce some new technology that will at least make people "think" that the 2010 TV sets are obsolete. Don't you all think it would be best to wait just a few more weeks to see what CES 2011 has to offer?

I know that there is always the argument that one can always wait for the next best thing, but buying RIGHT BEFORE the next best thing is announced seems like the wrong time unless you just can't live without.

Worst time of year is when new models are out and still holding their initial price while old stock is basically depleted. Now's a pretty good time to buy as stores are trying to work down their inventory before the first of the year and to offer incentives to buyers to spend during the critical holiday season for retailers. Even though CES is around the corner it's a ways off before those sets hit the streets and typically at closer to retail pricing.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
The best times to buy are as follows.

After the new models have had their first round of price drops. (they usually take a very decent drop and stabilize about a month after launch) My 50c450 was bought at MSRP less than a week after Amazon started to sell them, and 2 weeks after I got it (roughly one month after it went on sale) it dropped $200 and stabilized, it is still barely lower than what I paid to this day. (I got a refund on the price difference) The new models are also usually barely more than the old stuff at this point so the new stuff is usually worth it.

Another good time to buy is right now if you don't care about CES and new models, Black Friday is past and retailers want to start clearing the old stock to start getting ready for the new models that start to show up in February. Prices usually don't change too much from now until the new stuff comes out, and once that happens the prices actually tend to go up slightly.

I personally recommend waiting for CES before deciding, but I also like to see the new stuff that is coming out soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/19610576

The best times to buy are as follows.

After the new models have had their first round of price drops. (they usually take a very decent drop and stabilize about a month after launch) My 50c450 was bought at MSRP less than a week after Amazon started to sell them, and 2 weeks after I got it (roughly one month after it went on sale) it dropped $200 and stabilized, it is still barely lower than what I paid to this day. (I got a refund on the price difference) The new models are also usually barely more than the old stuff at this point so the new stuff is usually worth it.

Another good time to buy is right now if you don't care about CES and new models, Black Friday is past and retailers want to start clearing the old stock to start getting ready for the new models that start to show up in February. Prices usually don't change too much from now until the new stuff comes out, and once that happens the prices actually tend to go up slightly.

I personally recommend waiting for CES before deciding, but I also like to see the new stuff that is coming out soon.

Now that Black Friday is over the last big opportunity to get the best bang for your buck will be the pre-superbowl sales.(the 2-3 weeks prior.) It's the last big push by retailers and manufacturers to push out old inventory. If you're looking to get a specific model, just watch the prices and buy when it's good for you.

New models won't come out till march, and you won't likely find amazing deals on them for quite sometime.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/19606850

Announced but not sold until roughly 6 months later. Some are showcase that never see the light.

So it depends what consumer you are. If you go for high end stuff or the next big thing then it is worthwhile to wait

6 mos.
Assuming you are talking about top of the line items; some examples are the Samsung C8000 plasmas were 3.5 mos. later; Panasonic VT25 plasmas were 4.5 mos. later. The 50VT20 (BB exclusive) was, actually, only 2.25 mos. later. Sure, one can find examples of 6 mos. or more, but that is not nearly as common.

If talking TVs, in general, low end and some mid range items, start just 1.25 mos. later, and, in earnest, 1.75 mos. later.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If you're in the market for a higher-end display (e.g. Panasonic VT25 or Samsung c7000 or c8000 plasmas) As I am, Black Friday was a non-event. High-end models are never discounted much if at all on BF; it's always the entry-level displays that are priced as door-busters.

I've been watching prices of the vt25's and the c7/8000's and neither has changed at all from before BF, through BF & cyber Monday and to today. I doubt they'll change much all the way through December & into January, either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran /forum/post/19612487

If you're in the market for a higher-end display (e.g. Panasonic VT25 or Samsung c7000 or c8000 plasmas) As I am, Black Friday was a non-event. High-end models are never discounted much if at all on BF; it's always the entry-level displays that are priced as door-busters.

I've been watching prices of the vt25's and the c7/8000's and neither has changed at all from before BF, through BF & cyber Monday and to today. I doubt they'll change much all the way through December & into January, either.

Those are the exact ones I'm looking at. Currently the c8000 looks better to me with a bit thinner profile and a lot cheaper although 2 inches less. The only "Deals" seem to be some 3D bundles that although expire like the Samsung keep being brought back. I don't need it by Christmas so I think I will just wait until CES to see what comes about.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran /forum/post/19612487

Keep in mind, don't be afraid to throw out an offer to a retailer either. The economy is still sputtering and some are very hungry to do business. What's the worse they can say? I've gone into a retail place and made offers and turned down only to go into the the same store at a different location and get a better deal than what I originally offered the previous store.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
In 2007, for me on my Samsung the best deal came between Christmas and New Years Day. In any event, the best deal before the end of March in 2008. Then just before the 2008 refresh, the 2007 models got REALLY cheap. At some point you must decide whether to go for the really good deal or the new model year's features for $500 more....

·
Registered
215 Posts
I try to make big purchases in January, as many comsumers are not spending much money during this month due to the holidays taking a large bite out of their wallets.

I usally find retailers are very willing to make a sale during this time, and you will be able to negotiate quite a good deal, especially if you bargain with cash and are aggresive. Retailers are usually content simply to have made a sale during this time period.

Just my experiences...

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryloc /forum/post/19611224

New models won't come out till march, and you won't likely find amazing deals on them for quite sometime.

Samsung's 50c450 Plasma set had it's first price drop in under a month, and it dropped to roughly it's current price and has barely changed in 9 months. It is an exception to the rule, but it did happen. Still can't believe how good of a picture this low end 720p plasma can put out.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjonny1 /forum/post/19606777

I disagree. I got a 2010 model at a really really low price. Why wait until march and pay full retail for the newest thing?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
It's never the right time to buy any techno-logic device. There will always be a new, bigger, brighter, sharper, cooler, etc. one 'just around the corner'. By the same token it's always the best time to buy technology because there is so much to choose from....Look around and if you see one you like, get it.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I've always wondered why some display manufacturer wouldn't just introduce their 2011 line on black Friday and sell a ton of them during the Christmas season?

I guess that's what an American company might try--I guess the Japanese and Koreans just aren't wired to act that way.

And if not an entire line--why not at least one model that would preview their 2011 line?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Like people have said new TVs are announced at CES, not released. By the time they are released and have had their price lowered to sane levels CES will be right around corner yet again so you might as well wait another year. Then another year because something better will come out. Then another.

I think the best time to buy is when prices are at their lowest, which is around fall, or you can risk it and wait until the new models come out and hope that you can pick up a discontinued model before they go out of stock. I would never buy a TV at full sticker price.

Now if TVs retained their prices (like Apple products) then yes I would wait until the newest stuff came out and buy then, but TV's start out with huge margins and then dwindle to almost half price later in the year.

·
Registered
17,362 Posts
This is a great time to buy .. over supply has caused some very good price drops .. as well, what can be expected as far as new tech in the 2011 lines .. ?? Not much is my guess .. if you wait for the best deal on the newest tech, you'll wait forever ..

Buy and enjoy .. lifes too short ..

·
Registered
19,087 Posts
who buys a set based on what was shown or said at CES?...just because CES is coming up doesn't mean that you will get an accurate representation of the TV...CES is where every manufacturer will tell you how great their set is...the real in depth reviews which reveal its flaws will not come until months later

1 - 20 of 35 Posts