AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any links to HT reclining theater couches online. My riser is 102" wide, so I need something that has 3 seats, cupholders, is leather, and is not too expensive. Not looking for top of the line here, just something respectable and comfortable/durable. Bang for the buck.

Any stores that sell things on pretty good discount? If you have a specific recommendation for the couch, that is fine too. Or just a store, either way.

And if there already is a thread on this, fell free to point me in that direction. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
What is your price range? Roman has prices that are significantly less than local stores (around here anyway) can offer.

Are you really looking for a couch or for individual seats with cupholder arm rests between each chair?

I would check out the powerbuy that big linked to. I just got my Berkline 13175 seats from it this weekend and they will easily fit 3 wide on a 102 riser (my riser is 93.5 wide and 3 fit perfect.) I do not believe the 13175s come in a couch configuration, but there are other models that do.

Email or PM Roman from that link, he is good about answering back to these kinds of questions.

-Suntan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I emailed Roman and unfortunately, the price of about $1500 delivered curbside is a bit too steep. Those are for the motorized recliners. He does not carry non-motorized.

As for "couch" vs. "chair", I want the cupholders between each seat, so I guess it is technically not a couch but a row of 3 leather "chairs" that sit next to one another. I know the Berklines mentioned above are sold as 3 separate seats, I am not sure if all are sold like that or not.

From a different thread, I was able to track down a link to these:

http://www.interiorexpress.com/Home-...-Row-of-3.html

Which are $920 and free shipping (though it says it ended Sunday).

I don't know if it is entirely unreasonable to think I could find something out there for around $1,000? I don't use the room that much, and while I want something in there that is decent, I just want something that will get the job done. I don't want the mechanics to break and I don't want the leather to not be real leather. Other than that, I am fine with manual recline and something that is not top notch.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I know what you mean. I went for the Berks because my wife wanted them. My opinion was that the room is really only going to get used about 4 or 5 hours a week, so why pony up the dough? Anyway, it would be a fair statement to say that Berkline gets about 90% of the air time on these forums, but there are other chair makers that have cheaper seats (I believe Coasters and Showtime are two names if me memory is not playing tricks on me.)

I would suggest looking through the Theater room items and accessories forum, as dedicated talk about seating goes on over there more. Most of the seating talk around here is more about how a certain chair fits into one's dedicated theater.

If nothing else, I would re-post a question similar to this one over there.

-Suntan

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,164 Posts
IMHO motorized is the only way to go, It allows you to lock into an infinite number of positions. In my experience manual versions often don't always want to stay at just that right angle, I like to vary the angle during a 2 hour movie.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Agree with that. The ability to "lock" the chair in any position and know it won't move around on you when you roll from one side to the other is the main reason we did go motorized. Even at the tradeoff of slow extend and retract times.

-Suntan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17053426

IMHO motorized is the only way to go, It allows you to lock into an infinite number of positions. In my experience manual versions often don't always want to stay at just that right angle, I like to vary the angle during a 2 hour movie.

That is what Roman said as well. I'm just wondering how good his price would be to get it "non" motorized. He does not carry them, but how much do you think the motorization adds to the total price? It's $1500 door to door with it. What would it be without motorization?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,164 Posts
From what I recall the electric option was a MSRP $125-150 option on the DOMESTIC models of Berklines, Romans specials are on the imported models. Most of us didn't pay MSRP on our chairs either.

I actually used a different vendor for my Berkline 099s back before Roman was as well known on the forum.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
A couple months ago I got Roman to quote me the difference between motorized and manual. Long story short, it was $50 a chair for the motor option in my case (import/13175 model.)

Don’t know why the model/type of chair would change this price, but ymmv.

-Suntan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, after looking around at some other options, I think I may be settling for Roman's offer. Not 100% yet, but it is possible. That said, I have a couple of questions:

It will be $50 more per chair to have leather. Assuming there was no price difference, would you prefer leather to bonded, and if so, why?

Assuming you think leather is better to have than bonded, do you think the cost to upgrade is worth it?

Roman gave some good arguments for the bonded material that they use. Can anyone w/ bonded provide any insights? Same for those who bought leather? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
There are some threads on the leather versus bonded question in the HT accessories forum. I'd just start there instead of reproduce the same topic in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I bought the leather/vinyl match because he was all out of the bonded

That said, the leather is nice and soft. And it has held up well for the 2 days I've had them out of the boxes.

No one knows how well the bonded will last compared to leather, it may be better, it may be worse.

There is a lot of negatives that get thrown around by people that find it appalling that you would even think to compare something like bonded leather to real leather. Fair enough, personally I have a lot more important things to worry about than the semantics of what is leather and what is not. At the end of the day, if the surface is comfortable, breaths, and looks nice in your room, that's what matters (and according to Roman the bonded leather meets these requirements.)

Ask yourself what the duty cycle is going to be on the stuff? A couch you sit in every day or one that only gets used every couple of days?

-Suntan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I looked through those threads and saw the back and forth. I ended up getting them in leather/vinyl and not bonded. It was an extra $50/couch, but after seeing a swatch of both that Roman emailed me, I went w/ the leather.

At first I didn't want to pay this much, but after researching and looking at other (mostly more expensive) options, I went with Roman's Berkline power recline product. I'll share feedback when I get them in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts