AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys price range 10K to 19K.

Goal 110" Diagonal 16:9 screen, preferably perforated for placing speaking behind the screen, but willing to skip it of it effects too much the image brightness.

DLP's, DILA, or stick with CRT?

I have done some research, but as always I value your opinions and look forward to reading them.

Thanks

· Registered
453 Posts
Are you coming from a CRT background? You will have to determine what your most important preference is. If you have to have very good blacks, then DLP will satisfy you the most. You will need to find out if you see rainbows and if they bother you or give you a headache. If they do, then your only alternative is DILA. This is not a bad alternative, because if color fidelity and minimal screen door effect is important to you, DILA is the first choice. Not-so-good blacks and light spill are the chief disadvantages, and the light spill can be mitigated with an anamorphic lens. There are many good DLPs mentioned here, such as Marantz, Yamaha, Benq, and Sharp 12000, as well as the good value NEC HT1000. DILA choices are JVC G150, JVC SX21, Hitachi 5500?, or used G-series, which are good values.

In all cases, like auditioning good speakers, you should see them in a good setup and find out what their strong and weak points are. You may shift your weighting based on real life experience, and of course, listen to what some of the experienced folks on this forum have to contribute. It's what YOU (or people important to you) like that should ultimately drive your purchasing decision.

Al

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al for the reply. I have a Sony VPH-D50HTU CRT now, but I am started to build a new HT room at the house I just moved into. The problem is I do not know my new area(Tampa FL) and not too many folks have these DLP's properly displayed when I do find one.

The only DLP I have seen that was properly displayed and had a nice image was a Runco VX-1000ci. I was happy with the black levels, but I have not found something else to compare it with as far as getting best bang for the buck.

· Registered
453 Posts
I guess you have already explored the idea of 8" CRT and decided against it. They are are very cheap, compared to DLP, but require a desire to keep them in convergence, technical skills, and a screen size that is smaller by comparison. If you could find AVS members in your area, that would be best, because you can then compare a number of DLP units side-by-side. Barring that, I would say ask Bob (RobertWood) for some insights and places to visit, because he has both a CRT and a DLP and understands both sides. I think he lives in south Florida, so you may be able to hook up with him.

Al

· Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have toyed with the idea of a larger CRT, but that was before I had twin babies in the house. I now find that my time is limited and I am not able to play around with convergence and geometry as much as I would like. The D50-HTU has actually been pretty good at holding its setting so I can't really complain. The problem is my new HT room only has 8' ceilings so I need something a bit less bulky, plus I wanted a larger screen, and I also wanted to keep black levels at bay as much as possible, hence DLP gen2 enter the picture. Do you know if RUNCO's are just overpriced for namesake? I have never really seen a RUNCO projector before till this one I saw latelly and was impressed, however I thought the 17K asking price was over the top compared to 12K DLP's I have seen in the past.

· Registered
453 Posts
I have never seen a Runco, but my impression, taken from people posting here who have, is that they are really good machines. However, as you have already discovered, they are very high priced. You could probably get an equivalent machine for much less, and I believe Runco targets people who have neither the time nor the inclination to research or set things up themselves. Most markets have a segment that includes people like this, so it's not unusual. I gather that you are not in this category, and the fact that you are asking questions here shows that you are willing to do some homework.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.