AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue when converting m2ts to mp4 using Handbrake. When I convert some of my movies in m2ts format to mp4, they aren't always playable on my WD TV Live via network share. Some are and some aren't. Not sure why. I use the same setting for all.


Any ideas? How can one mp4 be ok and the other not playable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22239885


Why dont you just play the M2TS files instead. The WDTV supports them.

Trying to save some memory space for movies that don't necessarily be true high-def. So I don't know what the problem is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22240157


Trying to save some memory space for movies that don't necessarily be true high-def. So I don't know what the problem is.

I had similar issues with some M4V about 1 year ago. However, the problem started whenever I paused, fast forward, forward, and rewind. The movie would play, but the sound would be completely out of sync. These were DVD movies ripped with Handbrake. I tried different settings, but the problem persisted. The WDTV2 that I bought for my parents was the only media player that had issues playing certain M4V files. My Dune, AIOS, PCH, XBOX, PS3, W7 PC, W7 Laptop, and two android phones didn't have any issues playing them. So, it might be an issue with WDTV2 itself.


Have you tried a different ripping software? May be DVDFab. Try the free version first and see how if it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22240198


I had similar issues with some M4V about 1 year ago. However, the problem started whenever I paused, fast forward, forward, and rewind. The movie would play, but the sound would be completely out of sync. These were DVD movies ripped with Handbrake. I tried different settings, but the problem persisted. The WDTV2 that I bought for my parents was the only media player that had issues playing certain M4V files. My Dune, AIOS, PCH, XBOX, PS3, W7 PC, W7 Laptop, and two android phones didn't have any issues playing them. So, it might be an issue with WDTV2 itself.

Have you tried a different ripping software? May be DVDFab. Try the free version first and see how if it works.

I ripped all the m2ts files with dvdfab, and now using handbrake to convert m2ts to mp4. Not sure why some work and some don't. Seems so weird to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
I had horrible issues with handbrake going to MP4 when HD audio was present in the file before converting, severe out of sync audio/video. Not sure if it will help your situation but you can try ripping with DVDFab again, check the remove HD audio box, and try encoding again. Instead of encoding the entire movie and waiting hours just encode a few minutes and see if it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
578 Posts
Rip to .mkv, .mp4 is a horribly nasty unstable container, which is no surprise given its Apple's preferred container, and try Ripbot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22240438


I ripped all the m2ts files with dvdfab, and now using handbrake to convert m2ts to mp4. Not sure why some work and some don't. Seems so weird to me.

You do know that DVDFab can also rip to MP4 (M4V)? I don't understand why you would use two different programs. But I do agree that MP4 (M4V) isn't very good. I do it with certain movies that my kids likes so I can use them on my phone / tablet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241190


You do know that DVDFab can also rip to MP4 (M4V)? I don't understand why you would use two different programs. But I do agree that MP4 (M4V) isn't very good. I do it with certain movies that my kids likes so I can use them on my phone / tablet.

Probably the same reason I do, the decrypter part of DVDFab is free and handbrake is free. You have to pay for the encoding functionality direct from DVDFab, which although I haven't tried it quite a while, had too many issues to be worth it. Could be I'm also cheap though for certain things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241190


You do know that DVDFab can also rip to MP4 (M4V)? I don't understand why you would use two different programs. But I do agree that MP4 (M4V) isn't very good. I do it with certain movies that my kids likes so I can use them on my phone / tablet.

The main reason is so I can stream them wirelessly. I can't seem to stream mkv wirelessly without stuttering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241294


The main reason is so I can stream them wirelessly. I can't seem to stream mkv wirelessly without stuttering.

You will not be able to stream high bitrate media such as BD. You might be able to stream some 720p movies. If you want to stream movies wireless, the best solution is to sell all your BD movies, and buy DVD movies. Then you will have no issues streaming wireless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241324


You will not be able to stream high bitrate media such as BD. You might be able to stream some 720p movies. If you want to stream movies wireless, the best solution is to sell all your BD movies, and buy DVD movies. Then you will have no issues streaming wireless.

Hence why I'm trying to convert my m2ts files that don't really need to be HD to mp4 to stream wireless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241332


Hence why I'm trying to convert my m2ts files that don't really need to be HD to mp4 to stream wireless.

I conducted a test yesterday to see what I can do to get the best video quality and sound from a BD movie ripped to main movie only M2TS file with HD sound and secondary AC3 track, english and spanish subs. This took approximately 45 min. to rip with ClownBD and AnyDVD HD in the back ground. I then proceeded to re-rip this file to M4V with the I believe to be good video quality and sound with Handbrake. It took approximately 4.3 hours to complete this process. I used Mediainfo and here's what I got:



General

Complete name : C:\Users\GusGus\Desktop\MP4 MOVIES\TERMINATOR 3 RISE OF THE MACHINES (2003)\TERMINATOR 3 RISE OF THE MACHINES (2003).mp4

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID : mp42

File size : 1.57 GiB

Duration : 1h 49mn

Overall bit rate mode : Variable

Overall bit rate : 2 059 Kbps

Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-18 23:34:42

Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-19 03:45:54

Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.6 2012022800


Video

ID : 1

Format : AVC

Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile : [email protected]

Format settings, CABAC : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames

Codec ID : avc1

Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Duration : 1h 49mn

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 1 095 Kbps

Width : 720 pixels

Height : 288 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1

Frame rate mode : Variable

Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Minimum frame rate : 19.173 fps

Maximum frame rate : 23.981 fps

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth : 8 bits

Scan type : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.220

Stream size : 854 MiB (53%)

Writing library : x264 core 120

Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=17.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-18 23:34:42

Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-19 03:45:54

Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177

Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177


Audio #1

ID : 2

Format : AAC

Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile : LC

Codec ID : 40

Duration : 1h 49mn

Bit rate mode : Variable

Bit rate : 319 Kbps

Maximum bit rate : 425 Kbps

Channel(s) : 2 channels

Channel positions : Front: L R

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode : Lossy

Delay relative to video : -83ms

Stream size : 249 MiB (15%)

Language : English

Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-18 23:34:42

Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-19 03:45:54


Audio #2

ID : 3

Format : AC-3

Format/Info : Audio Coding 3

Mode extension : CM (complete main)

Format settings, Endianness : Big

Codec ID : ac-3

Duration : 1h 49mn

Bit rate mode : Constant

Bit rate : 640 Kbps

Channel(s) : 6 channels

Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

Bit depth : 16 bits

Compression mode : Lossy

Delay relative to video : -83ms

Stream size : 499 MiB (31%)

Language : English

Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-18 23:34:42

Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-19 03:45:54
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts
I can stream that movie wireless, play on my smartphones and tablet without any issues. I am hoping that helps you out. It's a long process, but I believe it would be faster if you rip the movie without HD sound, and just choose the AC3 sound track instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241354


I can stream that movie wireless, play on my smartphones and tablet without any issues. I am hoping that helps you out. It's a long process, but I believe it would be faster if you rip the movie without HD sound, and just choose the AC3 sound track instead.

So you used clownbd on a m2ts file to create an mp4 file in 45 min? Is Clownbd free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241421


ClownBD is free http://www.clownbd.com/ but you misread. It was an additional 4.3 hrs using handbrake to create the mp4 after generating the m2ts file with ClownBD and AnyDVD.

That's correct. First use ClownBD (Free) with AnyDVD HD (to take encryption off), which took approximately 45 min. to rip main movie only M2TS file with HD sound, AC3 secondary sound track, english and spanish subs. If you were to use ClownBD, and not choose HD sound track you might be able to save some time.


Thereafter, I used Handbrake to encode the M2TS file to M4V, which took approximately 4.3 hours to complete. A regular DVD movie would take approximately 1 hours to encode with Handbrake some times less depending on the movie and sound track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241567


That's correct. First use ClownBD (Free) with AnyDVD HD (to take encryption off), which took approximately 45 min. to rip main movie only M2TS file with HD sound, AC3 secondary sound track, english and spanish subs. If you were to use ClownBD, and not choose HD sound track you might be able to save some time.

Thereafter, I used Handbrake to encode the M2TS file to M4V, which took approximately 4.3 hours to complete. A regular DVD movie would take approximately 1 hours to encode with Handbrake some times less depending on the movie and sound track.

Ok, so this is basically the same thing im doing. I only had the blu ray copies of those movies, but some (romantic comedies and kid movies) don't need to be HD. So I'm trying to convert to get small size and stream wirelessly. Same like you showed.


My question is why would some conversions work and some not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241610


Ok, so this is basically the same thing im doing. I only had the blu ray copies of those movies, but some (romantic comedies and kid movies) don't need to be HD. So I'm trying to convert to get small size and stream wirelessly. Same like you showed.

My question is why would some conversions work and some not?

I'm not sure. That's why I am going to do another test with a higher bitrate movie, and see what happens. What movie are you having a hard time with may be I've got it in my movie collection and I can test it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1421300/issue-converting-m2ts-to-mp4-using-handbrake#post_22241625


I'm not sure. That's why I am going to do another test with a higher bitrate movie, and see what happens. What movie are you having a hard time with may be I've got it in my movie collection and I can test it.

Blow or Horrible Bosses so far.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top