AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I can't find much info on this topic. Any help is appreciated.

I'm using Zoomplayer to play Blu-Ray and HDDVD rips off the hard drive (I own all of them). The problem is I can't figure how to do the stretch. ffdshow seems to be the best option because you can set up profiles for various movie ARs. I assume it's done in the Resize & aspect or Crop. Anyone running a similar setup?

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Can you assign the mouse wheel to a vertical stretch mode? I seem to remember there were options for assigning horizontal, vertical or both (so it was like a zoom). It's been a while since I used ti though.

Gary

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Zoom Player has the aspect ratios built in, right click while the movie is playing, select "Aspect Ratio" and change to "Anamorphic". You can also set up custom ratios if needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
right click while the movie is playing, select "Aspect Ratio" and change to "Anamorphic".

That's exactly what I did, but the results do not look correct. I only learned about CIH a week ago, so forgive me if I'm mistaken here. The image resulting from the Anamorphic aspect ratio shows the same 2.35:1 image, but now within a 4:3 window. I'm seeing black bars top and bottom and pillar bars on the left and right! I'm using my 46" hdtv to test this, but I don't think it should make a difference. A properly vertically stretched image should take the normal 2.35:1 image and stretch it to fill the black bars making everyone skinny. Is this correct?

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Try stretching the height manually to get it correct, then save it as a custom aspect ratio.

Gary

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it to work in Zoomplayer. Selecting Anamorphic worked, but I had to select "Restrict AR Adjustments to Height in Fullscreen / Zoom mode" to get it to not make pillar bars.

Just one more question. I initially was hoping to do this with ffdshow so I could create profiles. With Zoomplayer, is there a simple way to switch to the anamorphic AR on movies only?

BTW, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You have to use the "Crop" filter in ffdshow to do vertical stretch. Set only the vertical crop to 56 each, both top and bottom for DVD's.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burzel2 /forum/post/15469342

That's exactly what I did, but the results do not look correct. I only learned about CIH a week ago, so forgive me if I'm mistaken here. The image resulting from the Anamorphic aspect ratio shows the same 2.35:1 image, but now within a 4:3 window. I'm seeing black bars top and bottom and pillar bars on the left and right! I'm using my 46" hdtv to test this, but I don't think it should make a difference. A properly vertically stretched image should take the normal 2.35:1 image and stretch it to fill the black bars making everyone skinny. Is this correct?

Its been a while since I played with ZP but if I recall correctly the mouse wheel if assigned can then be used to zoom this image to full frame eliminating the black borders. Once set it will remain for the session unless you select ESC. Again for me its been a long time since I used ZP to stretch content as I no longer watch DVD much.

ted

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Its been a while since I played with ZP but if I recall correctly the mouse wheel if assigned can then be used to zoom this image to full frame eliminating the black borders. Once set it will remain for the session unless you select ESC. Again for me its been a long time since I used ZP to stretch content as I no longer watch DVD much.

I don't watch DVD much either, but I still use Zoomplayer for both Blu-ray and HDDVD rips. Assigning the mouse wheel to zoom is interesting. Hopefully I can then assign it to my remote. Perhaps the button on the remote sends the zoom command and moves the anamorphic lens into place. Sounds like a great project!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burzel2 /forum/post/15479829

Just one more question. I initially was hoping to do this with ffdshow so I could create profiles. With Zoomplayer, is there a simple way to switch to the anamorphic AR on movies only?

BTW, thanks for the help.

I thought ZP could do profiles as well, but that may be only for DVDs. I haven't looked at that in a long time. I may be getting it confused with TheaterTek, too. I've tried all these different programs at one time or another.
I have been using PowerDVD for BD for a couple of years now, only recently got back into Zoom Player once I started looking into ripping BDs.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Burzel,

If you are using a MCE/USB-UIRT remote, then look into a small program called EventGhost. It has plugin for Zoomplayer, ffdshow and lots of other programs. It captures commands from remotes, keyboard, mouse etc and controls the software. You can also create actions/macros and assign them to get activated on IR commands. A nice little utility. I currently use it to control ffdshow. My MCE remote could control the media player but cannot control ffdshow. I needed it to manually select from my numerous ffdshow profiles.

Here is the link www.eventghost.org

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
adude,

it's funny you should recommend those tools. I'm actually using most of them already! I LOVE Eventghost. It controls everything. I even had it switching and dimming lights at one time.

My current setup uses Meedio for a front end which launches Beyond TV or Zoomplayer. Here are some screen shots if you're interested . I use Beyond TV's snapstream remote and the USB-UIRT to control all the equipment in the basement.

The advice you gave me to use Crop worked well. I only have a few ffdshow profiles, so I figured I could automate switching. But you bring up a good point that Eventghost has a plugin for ffdshow and I could use that to switch profiles.

The recommendation given by JDLIVE also worked to switch Zoomplayer's aspect ratio to "Anamorphic". I'm hoping there's an Eventghost command to switch to that aspect ratio. Otherwise I may have to learn Python code to make this happen. My prisms showed up today, so the next step is to build an anamorphic lens. This forum is an incredible recourse.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burzel2 /forum/post/15520867

The recommendation given by JDLIVE also worked to switch Zoomplayer's aspect ratio to "Anamorphic". I'm hoping there's an Eventghost command to switch to that aspect ratio. Otherwise I may have to learn Python code to make this happen. My prisms showed up today, so the next step is to build an anamorphic lens. This forum is an incredible recourse.

I haven't found a way to directly switch to the built in aspect ratios, you can cycle through them using the keyboard shortcut 'R' and 'Shift-R', but not go directly to one. However you can save a custom aspect ratio, then use 'Alt-Shift-AR#' to switch to it, i.e. store an AR in custom AR5 then 'Alt-Shift-5' will switch to it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
burzel,

Those screenshots are very nice, looks neat. I use Mediaportal to play all my videos. I had issues controlling MediaPortal using MCE remote, but EventGhost automated lot of tasks for me.

There is a command in EventGhost for aspect ratio cycle. Or you can define a custom aspect ratio, give it a no and let eventghost convert an IR code to that "Alt-Shift-AR#".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts