AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my blu ray collection backed up on my media server in isos, for my htpc / streaming I've been using a dk77kb mb + i3-3220 running openELEC. For the most part I love this setup, but tonight while watching Inception there were a few parts where it choked up. The video stopped for a split second then jumped to the right scene. Got me wondering is my cpu / graphics underpowered? If so is there a cheaper route than replacing the CPU? I could use my htpc for everything but blu-rays, and if there is a cheaper component than a new cpu, us the new piece of hardware just for blu rays?

Thanks for any suggestions.

edit:

started looking in my area for western digital live, there are a few less than $50. Do these do dts-hd and true-hd passthrough? Would it be worth buying on and using it for bluray instead of my htpc? Just something that crossed my mind.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Going from an i3 HTPC to a WD Live is a serious downgrade. Don't do it. I don't know what's wrong but do some research on the openelec forums and post a log there if necessary and they will sort you out. I have zero problems watching 1080p MKVs w/HD audio on my celeron NUC running openelec and your i3 is way more processor than I've got. So that's definitely not the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador  /t/1523417/issue-w-htpc-blu-ray-streaming#post_24510071

Going from an i3 HTPC to a WD Live is a serious downgrade. Don't do it. I don't know what's wrong but do some research on the openelec forums and post a log there if necessary and they will sort you out. I have zero problems watching 1080p MKVs w/HD audio on my celeron NUC running openelec and your i3 is way more processor than I've got. So that's definitely not the problem.
The difference may be that the original post indicates he is using ISO files while your media is in an MKV container. I don't know anything about openelec but in windows there are plenty of people with stuttering ISO files streamed over a network. The link in the post above may fix it but not sure it applies to open elec. I'd consider converting the files to MKV or find a player similar to madVR that will buffer several frames in advance to help eliminate any network issues. MadVR fixed all my stuttering ISO issues on Windows.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Try turning hardware acceleration off. Also, I've had this happen before because a large file was being written to my server while I was streaming a blu-ray. Any chance something was being written to the hard drive while you were watching the movie?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts