Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm sendind an help message from France for all the DVHS deck owners all arround the world :)

I have a JVC HM-DH5U connect to my PC with firewire and i 'm trying to transfert TS files from the PC to the deck via DVHSTOOLS or CAPDVHS.

My issue is the following:

When i look at the preview file while recording, the picture quality is amazing without any glitches or drops, but when i look the same file rec on the tape, i have multiple glitches :confused:

The tapes and the deck are new ( 2 days), so i don't know where it comes from :mad:

Please Help me

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I got an HM-D5U about three weeks ago and am not having any luck making glitch free recordings from the pc. I've searched the forum and tried everything I could find.

I got it to record initially with very few problems. The deck handling commands all work well.

I thought the pixelization problem might be caused by the Microsoft XP update to Service Pak 2 that was discussed a lot here. I found the following info helpful for those who haven't seen it yet. The first link is the current MS "fix" for the firewire slowdown problem created by SP2, and the second link is a good technical explanation of the fix with some recommendations.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

Anyway, none of this helped either. What's really frustrating is on two occasions I got perfect recordings of stuff that was unwatchable when recorded an hour before. I don't think I did anything differently the second time when it worked ok.

I've tried all of the following:

1) shutdown backround pc tasks - especially anti virus checkers

2) used both DVHStool and CapDVHS - also ran both at higher priorities

3) passed ts files thru MPEG2repair and TStoATSC repair utilities

4) tried every SVHS tape known to man

5) set registry TSP2SP "StartupPacketInterval" to three different values. Presently at 2706.

6) tried different firewire ports and settings

7) many others I've forgotten already

I hope somebody has some ideas. This thing is way too cool to give up on from what I've seen so far.

Ray

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
It ain't gonna happen, it's the poor dvhstool/capdvhs software and filters and many other factors, this is the very reason the nextcom r5000-hd guys wrote their own filters and incorp. them into their program and is why they will be relasing their own app to send r5000-hd recordings to D-VHS

XP PC to D-VHS without glitches is totally 100% impossible, I tried for 6 months, everyday-all day long, give it up while you still have your sanity

it is impossible, no Joke!!

-Gary

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
To get glitch free recording you need to feed the data at constant rate without interuption. This is speculation on my side but I would bet it's windows background tasks that mess up the video. I didn't really play with recordings to tape that much since I don't need it at the moment but my assumption is that if you have fast computer, fast, defragmented hard drive and you know how to set up Win XP to run only minimum amount of tasks it could be done. I have a program which shows all the activity (system calls, drive access etc). It's unbelievable how much stuff is going on in seemingly idle computer. I'm not sure why recording from DVHS is easier than recording to it, maybe the program itself is not optimized that well but I had problems either way. Also make sure the data stream you feed to DVHS is bellow 20Mbps. I learned that hardway when trying to record 25Mbps HDV video from camcorder to DVHS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers even if it's pretty scarry :mad:

I try everything like ray and nothing works perfectly :confused:

So what you should we do ? come back to Windows 2000 :D ?

Is there any way to have access to the pause, play functions while you stream through firewire ? graph edit or anything else ?

I begin to lose my sanity :eek: ?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for checking in. I was following your exploits thru this problem and was hoping you might have found something.

Pete4

Could you pass on the name of the system activity monitor program you mentioned. I don't want to give up on this just yet.

Remaisisqo,

It's not been very elegant, but I've been saving the ts files on dvd disks. Then I can play them back thru the JVC via Firewire and DVHSTool without recording. If you go to DVHSTool Settings and uncheck the "Control Transport" box, you can stream the dvd ts files to the projector without running the HM-DH5U. Most 2 hour movies have been taking 2-3 disks to store all the ts files. It's better than nothing at this point.

Ray

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
You could try transferring the *.ts files to a NTFS-formatted external firewire drive and then stream them using a cheap Mac and Virtualdvhs from Apple's firewire SDK19 or 20. That's what I finally wound up doing. I spent probably 100 hours over a month to get my Win XP computer to work and when finally I gave up and tried my Powerbook, it had it working in 20 minutes.

It probably would be a good idea to do the mpeg2repair routine before transferring the files to the external hard drive if you wind up giving this a try.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I have a better suggestion

A sencore HDTV player HDTV996, that outputs HDTV (from Hard Drive) over RF cable(the HDTV receiver sees it just like OTA HDTV from antenna)

get the JVC Deck (HM-DT100U) with built in OTA HDTV receiver and record to D-VHS that way, bypassing firewire entirely

-Gary

·
Registered
262 Posts
It does work great on a Mac, transfers without any problems. Apple pretty much invented FireWire(Chefcat/Performa), I knew someone involved with the development of it. I waited since the mid 1980's for this to be used for some puropse. Almost 10 years before for DV cameras came out with them. I like firewire, I have it on every computer, too bad more CE devices dont have them.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cendroski
Gary,

Pete4

Could you pass on the name of the system activity monitor program you mentioned. I don't want to give up on this just yet.

Remaisisqo,

Ray

My system was acting up and I came accross this site looking for solutions:
http://www.sysinternals.com/

There is whole bunch of tools to monitor file access, registry access, disk read/write, system calls and dll used, all free, the last time I checked. Not for the novice but good learning tools.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It's pretty frustrating to find out that the fix to all my problems is to just get another computer.

I have decided to get out of this HTPC concept all together. I'm tired of screwing around with Windows. We had some friends over to watch LOTR the other night. All of a sudden I don't have any SPDIF sound output from PowerDVD. I also recently had an incident where PowerStrip output some super high scan rate, and it took out the horizontal board on my projector. On top of that, Nvidia bailed out on the "Powerwall" blended projector dual port video card project. Now Firewire doesn't work. I've had it.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm guess I'm going to start another science project and pursue the Mac path. After seeing HDTV over the HM-DH5U I'm not going back to dvd's.

Ray

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
You might want to hold on to your Windows computer because the best freeware programs for repairing transport streams and for basic cut and stitch stuff are Windows programs. Some people do their optimizing of transport streams on their Windows machines and do the streaming with their Macs. For streaming only, it doesn't take a very robust Mac, just one with a good firewire port. A lot of people are using Mac Minis for this but one could get by with a much older Mac.

·
Registered
262 Posts
wilsonsoohoo is right. I would not go all Mac only for this, as there are currently just not enough tools available. I'm a multi platform kinda person from the very beginning(Amiga, AtariST, Classic Mac, NeXT, BSD, DOS, OS2, PC98, Mac OS X, MS Windows). People tend to have a difficult time adjusting to different OSs if they are only used to windows. I'd say use what works. So for you currently Windows will not work well for transfering, but excels at other parts. Macs OS X, can do some of the optimising and cutting but the tools tend not to be currently as good/and/or cheap. The best way for me was to use both!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sorry guys - I wasn't too clear. I'm still planning to use the Windows machine as a toolkit, but I'm taking it offline from my projector. No more fancy video and soundcards. Just discrete components from here on in.

I'm impressed with some of the .ts Windows tools I've been using.

Any idea on what might be the cheapest used MAC available to get the job done? Sorry, I'm totally ignorant about them.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyway, I choose the streaming solution and it works great ! not too user friendly but so beautiful :) and with less glitches than with PC player ( VLC , MPC etc..)

Too bad for the windows issues :mad:

HD rocks :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remaisisqo
Hello,

I'm sendind an help message from France for all the DVHS deck owners all arround the world :)

I have a JVC HM-DH5U connect to my PC with firewire and i 'm trying to transfert TS files from the PC to the deck via DVHSTOOLS or CAPDVHS.

My issue is the following:

When i look at the preview file while recording, the picture quality is amazing without any glitches or drops, but when i look the same file rec on the tape, i have multiple glitches :confused:

The tapes and the deck are new ( 2 days), so i don't know where it comes from :mad:

Please Help me
You need to send a constant bit rate of 19.3 to record correctly on the JVC. You can change your ts file using the command line program TStoATSC, or you can edit the registry to have the file packet rate corrected as you play the file with DVHSTool. The registry setting is this---

Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\DVHS\\TSP2SP\\StartupPacketInt erva l to 1826, to have the bit rate set to 19.3 Mb/s.

When I checked mine it was set to 2706 and I changed it to 1826 and now it works great.

Mike

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Well, changing the bitrate doesn't work for me. Frankly, along with Gary I've given up on WinXP.

Is there like a cheap Mac tower w/ a firewire port I can buy? My current PC monitor has two inputs so I could switch between XP and the Mac. I doubt I'd even do that because it's too much of a headache.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Are you sure you want/need a tower? A Mac Mini can be had for about $500.

OTOH used towers that are fully capable of streaming can be had on eBay for cheaper than that.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I already have a capable mac, but I bought a iBook G3 500MHz with a broken screen and no battery, with powercord for $100. So deals can be found. I just connected up the monitor to the dongle adapter and plugged in a external firewire HD that contains the TS files, works great.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.