AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a first time poster on AVS. I just purchased and set up a PG-A10X with an iScan Pro to replace my Sharp XV-Z1U. The picture is outstanding. However, I have a small issue that I think may be caused by the iScan. I am feeding s-video from my DVD player and my SD cable to the iScan, and am outputting RGB from the iScan to the A10X. I have the iScan set to RGB and Normal output. The A10X is set to input RGB (and sRGB) and signal 480P. Here is the issue: whenever I change channels on my cable TV, the A10X momentarily blacks out, then picks up the signal (overly bright), then (while claiming to be adjusting the image) snaps into a good picture. This all takes approximately three seconds. When I set the iScan and the A10X to component, the A10X momentarily blacks out, then snaps into a good picture (approximately two seconds). Is this normal behavior? I have searched the net and cannot find this issue discussed anywhere.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It sounds similar to my situation and possibly normal. For example when starting up computer from and off state the picture is off when changing modes from the bios screens to the startup of windows. Then when switching from regular vga output to the output from my MyHD card the projector initially displays an out of color display and then syncs in after several seconds. Others have reported the need to hit the resync control: I haven't ever had to do this fortunately.

Plus channels on cable or HD card change normally without a resyncing delay - I suppose that would be a problem if it was resyncing after every channel change

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two Mike Brown's with the same projector... it IS a small world.

I see this behavior anytime the the A10x loses it's video input - such as when I change resolutions on my desktop, switch inputs, etc. As far as I can tell it is normal. Perhaps there is a setting on the iScan that essentially tells it to maintain a video output regardless of it's input signal?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
What you're seeing is partially due to the SiI503 deinterlacer chip in the iScan Pro. It can sometimes take the 503 a while to lock back onto a video signal when the signal is disrupted (like it is when you switch channels). Your display is probably exacerbating the problem since it must re-sync to the 'new' video signal (the time to do this varies dramatically from display to display), but the root cause is most likely the 503 chip. This was fixed in the newer SiI504.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
just curious what the Iscan does because I don't have anything between the HD digital cable box and projector, nor between the HTPC or DVD player whenever I have hooked it up and the projector.

How much would your Iscan ultra cost (versus a progressive DVD player available for pennies? - or telling the cable company you want an HD box?) My understanding is that the cable companies cannot force you to get premium content to get their HD boxes for receiving OTA digital channels?

I have a hard time thinking you wouldn't be better served with higher definition sources; especially with this projector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.