AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha V661, and I recently changed my speakers to HTD level 2 towers and LC 2 center. Before I was using the the BIC HT-75, HT-65 center. However the new speakers with are not as sensitive 91db at 1meter, when I set the volume up to 0db on my receiver (trying to get the same level of "loudness") when I get to a scene that is very intensive, my receiver shuts off why is it doing that? If i got set the volume to -1 db it works fine.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some possibilities -

* You have a problem with your wiring to your speakers, or a problem with one of your speakers, and you are shorting something at high volume, causing a protection circuit to kick in - this is quite common.

* 0 dB is too loud, and you are triggering your receiver's protection circuits. Overcurrent, overvoltage or over temperature are all possibilities.

* There's a problem with your receiver - this is the least likely answer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking its the protection kicking in because, I can turn it on again immediately and it works, but its just that scene which causes it. Should I consider replacing it with another unit? Also can you please explain the 0 dB is too loud part.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16929916

Some possibilities -

* You have a problem with your wiring to your speakers, or a problem with one of your speakers, and you are shorting something at high volume, causing a protection circuit to kick in - this is quite common.

* 0 dB is too loud, and you are triggering your receiver's protection circuits. Overcurrent, overvoltage or over temperature are all possibilities.

* There's a problem with your receiver - this is the least likely answer

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The 661 has pretty weak power performance (30w/5 channels driven). This should get you pretty loud. Your speakers are 90db sensitive which isn't too bad. How large is your room?

I would look into a separate amp if you keep going into protection mode.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under the assumption is that this receiver does 90w per channel. Please clarify, how you are getting 30w/5? Also if I were to replace this amp what should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16930238

The 661 has pretty weak power performance (30w/5 channels driven). This should get you pretty loud. Your speakers are 90db sensitive which isn't too bad. How large is your room?

I would look into a separate amp if you keep going into protection mode.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Almost ALL AVR companies lie about their power numbers. Yamaha on their lower models does this all the time. For most people, it means nothing. They won't have a problem in their room with their speakers and their preferred listening level.

Sound and Vision put the 661 on the Test Bench and at 1Khz (not 20-20,000hz which is a better real world test) it put out 56w/channel pushing 5 channels (at clipping). At 20-20,000hz the number would be much lower, in the 30's per channel. If you are throwing something that is putting put peaks to all channels the Yamaha will shut down. If you bought a 200w/channel amp you would gain about 8db of headroom.

When you look at AVRs power numbers look for number of channels driven and 20-20,000hz (not 1khz). Usually it is 2 channels driven. Onkyo does this and says it well. Yamaha for the 665 just says 90x7 at 1 khz.

I thought the 661 had pre-outs but I guess it doesn't. What would you want to spend? To get the power you would want I would do a 663 or 665 (which have pre-outs) and get an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man that was some REALLY great info, I did not realize any of this, I can't thank you enough for shedding light about the power, and how it works. My question now to you would be since the 5 channel emotive is out of my reach at 800, there any other one I may be able to use, under $500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16931143

Almost ALL AVR companies lie about their power numbers. Yamaha on their lower models does this all the time. For most people, it means nothing. They won't have a problem in their room with their speakers and their preferred listening level.

Sound and Vision put the 661 on the Test Bench and at 1Khz (not 20-20,000hz which is a better real world test) it put out 56w/channel pushing 5 channels (at clipping). At 20-20,000hz the number would be much lower, in the 30's per channel. If you are throwing something that is putting put peaks to all channels the Yamaha will shut down. If you bought a 200w/channel amp you would gain about 8db of headroom.

When you look at AVRs power numbers look for number of channels driven and 20-20,000hz (not 1khz). Usually it is 2 channels driven. Onkyo does this and says it well. Yamaha for the 665 just says 90x7 at 1 khz.

I thought the 661 had pre-outs but I guess it doesn't. What would you want to spend? To get the power you would want I would do a 663 or 665 (which have pre-outs) and get an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Before worrying about getting a new amp, check your wiring, and such. I have shut down from bad wiring, and blown speakers many times.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You are out of power.

Since you don't have preouts to add a power amp to your 661, it doesn't make sense to buy both a new receiver and a new power amp -- you just need a receiver with more output capability.

The good news is, your best buys are 2008 or previous models. In the Yamaha line you are looking for the 1800 or 3800, 1700 or 2700. Don't go below this level, as even the 863 power section is similar to the 6xx models.

In the Denon line, look for the 2309 or 889 or previous models in the 23xx, 8xx, or better 28xx or 9xx (excluding the 2009 models which end in 0 ). Any of these have preouts if you ever need expansion later, but all should power your existing system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael - I do not believe it is the wiring since I can reproduce the effect every time, at the same exact time during the explosion at the start of live free die hard, also all of the connection are banana plugged with no stray wires I did double check though, just to make sure.

Ggunnell- thank you for your advice i'll most likely go with a 1700 or the 889, however it looks like its gonna be a refurb, since I cannot find any new, also I'd like to keep it under $500, if its a lil over no biggy, any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/16932987

You are out of power.

Since you don't have preouts to add a power amp to your 661, it doesn't make sense to buy both a new receiver and a new power amp -- you just need a receiver with more output capability.

The good news is, your best buys are 2008 or previous models. In the Yamaha line you are looking for the 1800 or 3800, 1700 or 2700. Don't go below this level, as even the 863 power section is similar to the 6xx models.

In the Denon line, look for the 2309 or 889 or previous models in the 23xx, 8xx, or better 28xx or 9xx (excluding the 2009 models which end in 0 ). Any of these have preouts if you ever need expansion later, but all should power your existing system.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I see what you mean about RX-V1700 availability.

I notice that the Denon 989 is down to 550 at @mazon. That's a good buy and worth stretching your budget for a little IMO. You could call and ask other Denon authorized dealers if you want to try to beat that price: http://www.usa.denon.com/OnlineETailers.asp

Make sure you find and skim at least the first and last few pages of the 989 thread here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057392

and download the .pdf of the user manual from Denon's site.

It never hurts to look in your local paper, Craigslist, Ebay, Audiogon, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts