AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having an issue with my Toshiba 46XV645U. The set randomly powers off; there is no rhyme or reason that I can detect, it could be 15 minutes of use, or 8 hours. Happens on both HDMI and component sources. Have tried pulling the batteries on all remotes, still happens. Just out of the blue it is "off". Hit power on the remote and it comes right back on. Seems to be completely random, I can go weeks with no trouble then have it happen 5 times in one day. Very frustrating.

TV is under warranty and Toshiba had the shop update the firmware (no difference) and then replace the main board (motherboard?). No change, problem still occurs.

Now the shop wants to take the set in to their location and run a test pattern/program through it? Does this sound reasonable? I'm by no means a guru on this stuff, and it kind of sounds like "hey, we don't know so we'll put it on our shelf for a while."

Any thoughts/guidance/etc would be welcomed.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMichigan
Having an issue with my Toshiba 46XV645U. The set randomly powers off; there is no rhyme or reason that I can detect, it could be 15 minutes of use, or 8 hours. Happens on both HDMI and component sources. Have tried pulling the batteries on all remotes, still happens. Just out of the blue it is "off". Hit power on the remote and it comes right back on. Seems to be completely random, I can go weeks with no trouble then have it happen 5 times in one day. Very frustrating.

TV is under warranty and Toshiba had the shop update the firmware (no difference) and then replace the main board (motherboard?). No change, problem still occurs.

Now the shop wants to take the set in to their location and run a test pattern/program through it? Does this sound reasonable? I'm by no means a guru on this stuff, and it kind of sounds like "hey, we don't know so we'll put it on our shelf for a while."

Any thoughts/guidance/etc would be welcomed.
It's an intermittent problem that cannot be duplicated consistently. They want to take it to the shop, turn it on and leave it on in hopes of duplicating the problem so they can fix it. Sounds logical to me.

If you had a rattle in your car and took it to the dealer to be fixed they would have to make the rattle happen to fix it, wouldn't they?

Sometimes a particular model of tv or car or whatever will develope a common problem that happens often enough to a large enough number of samples that experienced servicers can pretty much know that a particular repair will work without actually duplicating that problem. Bad caps on Samsung power boards is an example.

Sounds like yours is not one of these common problems on that particular model.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Have no clue why the first thing they'd think is the motherboard. My first thought would be the capacitors on the power supply.

But, yes...that is why you have a warranty(and in your case...and extended) so they can figure out what is wrong...not you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
OVERHEATING! has been the most common problem with Toshiba... but as u mentioned it could be 15 minutes of use, or 8 hours. Doesn't mean that the tv is broken.

Hopefully that warranty is still good and you'll be able to get it either fixed or get a new set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts