AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Toshiba 42H82 HDTV. I recently obtain a Motorola DCT5100 HD converter from my local cable company, and have an issue with it.

It "appears" that the DCT5100 "overrides" the Toshiba's option to change the screen stretching selection. Programs that I watch through the DCT5100 that are NOT being broadcast in HD are displayed at 4:3. And when I hit the button to change the stretch option, it says it's unavailable.

I understand that certain options aren't available with the HD input channels. For instance, you can't use an HD input channel with PIP. However, I have my Xbox connected to my other HD input channel and can change the screen stretch option at will.

Any explanation as to why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The DCT5100 needs to be configured correctly. To check/change the configuration, with the DCT5100 off, press the 'MENU' key on the front panel. The on-screen display menu should appear on the tv with the following settings:

TV TYPE : 16:9

YPbPr : 1080i/720p/480p/480i (You probably need to experiment with your tv to see which format (1080i or 720p) give you better PQ)

4:3 Override : 480i (This is where I think your problem is. If it is set to OFF or 480p, your TV will not be able to stretch the image.)

Use your remote control or the cursor keys on the front panel to navigate the on-screen display. Press the up-arrow/down-arrow key to highlight the setting you wish to change. Press the right-arrow key to select an option for that setting. To exit the menu and save your settings, press the 'POWER' or 'MENU' key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried setting it to 480i, and it didn't change things. Still don't have the stretch option available. I had my brother test if for me while I was on the phone (I'm at work), so I'll try again when I get home.

ANOTHER ISSUE, I don't have the option of 720p for the YPbPr selection!! When I scroll thru the options, it goes from 1080i to 480i to 480p to BLANK SCREEN...and then one more scroll takes it back to 1080i. VERY STRANGE.

I want to set it to 720p because that's the max that my Toshiba 42H83 supports, but it appears I simply don't have that option (or is that blank screen a GOOD thing?).

DID I SIMPLY GET A BAD BOX???!!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrgrtvil

I want to set it to 720p because that's the max that my Toshiba 42H83 supports, but it appears I simply don't have that option (or is that blank screen a GOOD thing?).
Ummmm, the 42H82 supports 1080i. It will accept a 720p input, but it will not display it natively in 720p, it will upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i. 1080i is what you want to use, and will have the best picture on the 42H83.

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.