AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm experiencing issues calibrating my speakers with my Denon AVR-X2300W. I have a 5.1 system with 2 front speakers, 1 center, 2 rear speakers, and a subwoofer. The speakers sound very good for music, but when I turn on Dolby Sound or Dolby, it is very tough to hear movie dialogue. I have played around with the AVR setting and turned on some of the features that are supposed to improve dialogue for movie, but the usually make it worse. Audessey and Dyamnamic EQ are also turned off. Does anyone have some suggestions to improve the overall sound of the system?

Here's what speakers I have

2 front: Bose
1 center: Energy Take Classic
2 rear: Energy Take Classic
1 sub: Energy Take Classic

·
Premium Member
12,364 Posts
Alright! Should I buy a new center speaker? I was looking at some from Klipsch or Polk between $100-$200 each. What are your thoughts?
I don't know what your expectations are. I suggest you run Audyssey and see if you like the result. This will ensure that the level calibration is correct, in particular the CC level will be correct in relation to the other speakers, which may improve dialogue intelligibility. Then experiment with DEQ and try different levels of RLO to see if those settings help. In addition, you can try raising the trim of the CC to increase the level of dialogue.

Ultimately, if you're not satisfied with the results, then consider new speakers. I don't make speaker recommendations as I think speakers are a personal choice, and what I like, you may not.

Craig

Edit: My guess is that you'll get a number of speaker recommendations, mostly from people suggesting you buy what they bought. Take these suggestions with a gran of salt, and do your own research. Listen to speakers before you commit to buying them, or, at a minimum, ensure they have an acceptable return policy.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
... I suggest you run Audyssey and see if you like the result. This will ensure that the level calibration is correct, in particular the CC level will be correct in relation to the other speakers, which may improve dialogue intelligibility.... .
Many AVR's let you tweak the system after Audyssey has run. If your AVR allows this, boost the output of the Center by a few dB to emphasize Center Dialog more.

Also, set the AVR to Small to make sure that the Crossover is applied to the Center Speaker. Not applying the Crossover to the Center can leave voice sounding husky and droning.

Additionally MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE CENTER is wired correctly, that in all cases, the Red+ of the Amp goes to the RED+ of the Speaker.

To some extent, Audyssey can determine if a speaker is out of phase, but it doesn't always get it right. So it is up to you to verify ABSOLUTELY that the speaker is wired correctly. Nothing will suck the life out of a speaker like one of them being wired backwards.

Also, where are the Speakers Placed? Occasionally poor Speaker Placement can confuse Audyssey. and thereby cause poor balance and calibration.

https://www.energy-speakers.com/home-theater-systems/?sku=TK-CLASSI-5-1

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/energy-take-classic-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright! Should I buy a new center speaker? I was looking at some from Klipsch or Polk between $100-$200 each. What are your thoughts?
I don't know what your expectations are. I suggest you run Audyssey and see if you like the result. This will ensure that the level calibration is correct, in particular the CC level will be correct in relation to the other speakers, which may improve dialogue intelligibility. Then experiment with DEQ and try different levels of RLO to see if those settings help. In addition, you can try raising the trim of the CC to increase the level of dialogue.

Ultimately, if you're not satisfied with the results, then consider new speakers. I don't make speaker recommendations as I think speakers are a personal choice, and what I like, you may not.

Craig

Edit: My guess is that you'll get a number of speaker recommendations, mostly from people suggesting you buy what they bought. Take these suggestions with a gran of salt, and do your own research. Listen to speakers before you commit to buying them, or, at a minimum, ensure they have an acceptable return policy.
Thanks for the help! Going to try these recommendations and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Another thing to look at prior to throwing money at speakers is your sources.
If your source is a game console, BluRay player, network streamer, etc make sure that your output options are set to Bitstream. Many devices fail to do this in their initial setups.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing to look at prior to throwing money at speakers is your sources.
If your source is a game console, BluRay player, network streamer, etc make sure that your output options are set to Bitstream. Many devices fail to do this in their initial setups.
The sound is def better after running audssy and turning on dynamic eq. How to I check outputs are set to bitstream? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
12,364 Posts
The sound is def better after running audssy and turning on dynamic eq. How to I check outputs are set to bitstream? Thank you!
Check the Menu options in your player. There should be a setting for HDMI , and you should be able to select Bitstream or PCM/LPCM. Select Bitstream. This will send the signal directly to the receiver for decoding within the receiver. The PCM signal is decoded in the player itself, and is often down-converted to 2-channel, (depending on the player.)

Reactions: sigpig
1 - 9 of 9 Posts