AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut the cable and bought a Hauppage 1265 tuner card and in stalled it in my PCTV with an antenna. Worked great but I can only record one show at a time so I was getting conflicts and having to choose between shows to record.

So I bought a second 1265 and installed it in the machine. But WMC won't record from both cards at the same time. I can record on one card and watch live tv on the other at the same time but if I try to record the show that I'm watching live it throws an error and says that there is no signal on the channel that I was just watching live with no problem. Also I have padding of 2 min at the start and 10 min at the end and it will record shows that run consecutively (which requires both cards to be recording at the same time) but not with the same start time.

Also When I added the second card I put a splitter on the antenna cable and ran each leg to a card. This appears to have weakened the signal as some channels that were there b4 are gone now and some that were solid b4 are flaky.

Do I need a separate antenna for each card or is there a way to successfully gang multiple cards off of 1 antenna?

I have a 3rd 1265 tuner card that I would like to add but if I can't use it to record more than 1 show at a time then I'll take it back.

I saw a post in another forum where they referred to someone having run 6 1265's in one machine successfully but they didn't give any details and the picture just showed the box open with the cards mounted and no antennas.

PC:
ASUS P5E MB
Intel Quad core 2.6
4 Gig RAM
Win 7

Thanks

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Look under Device Manager and make sure your PC is recognizing all of the 1265 cards you have installed and make sure they're all working. Run TV signal setup in WMC and make sure that WMC sees all of the tuners.

WMC has a glitch that requires you to pad each recording by 10 minutes before and after. Splitting the antenna feed reduces the signal strength but 3 to 3.5dB. If that's enough to cause a weak signal then you should consider using a mast mounted preamp to boost the signal or get an antenna with higher gain. You should be able toi run multiple tuners on your HTPC with no problem. I've had as many as 17 tuners connected to my HTPC at the same time with no problems.

For less than the cost of a single 1265 tuner you can get a dual tuner SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect with dual tuners. It connects to your home network and streams the TV signal to your HTPC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replay Capt

Both cards are in the device manager and working.

Both cards are recognized by WMC.

I have the padding at 10 min so it forces the time (instead of 10 min whenever possible). When I had only the one card it would cause a conflict on consecutive shows with the padding. With the 2 cards it no longer has that conflict so I know it can use both cards at the same time. I think the issue is with WMC. Hence:

So I was looking at Settings>Guide>Edit channels> choose a channel then Edit sources, and see that each channel is default merged to both channels. If you split the cards you end up with 2 of each channel, one for each card. I haven't played with that yet to see if it changes anything but I will later today.

I paid $60 each for the 1265's and the cheapest SD HDHR connect that I see is $85 on amazon. Is there a better deal somewhere else?

Does the HDHR work with WMC?

I'll look into getting an HDHR. I still have a week to take the 1265's back and get a refund.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I tried splitting the cards for each channel in WMC but that didn't seem to change anything. Still have a conflict.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you are loosing channels with multiple 1265's on a single antenna, you need a better antenna, better mounting location or height choice (sometimes an antenna performs better near the ground), distribution amp, or mast mount preamp. However, if you want to receive stations requiring pointing the antenna in different directions, then multiple antennas, one for each 1265, should be considered. Don't bother with HomeRun tuners. The dual HomeRun has an internal splitter which weakens the signal, and the 1265 is the most sensitive ATSC PC tuner on the market you can buy beating the HomeRun (any model.) Don't buy the 2255 dual tuner either. A pair of 1265s significantly outperform the 2255.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If you are loosing channels with multiple 1265's on a single antenna, you need a better antenna, better mounting location or height choice (sometimes an antenna performs better near the ground), distribution amp, or mast mount preamp. However, if you want to receive stations requiring pointing the antenna in different directions, then multiple antennas, one for each 1265, should be considered. Don't bother with HomeRun tuners. The dual HomeRun has an internal splitter which weakens the signal, and the 1265 is the most sensitive ATSC PC tuner on the market you can buy beating the HomeRun (any model.) Don't buy the 2255 dual tuner either. A pair of 1265s significantly outperform the 2255.
I think a lot of folks here will dispute your assessment of the HDHomeRun tuners as they are among the most popular ATSC tuners used by forum members. I have three of them and they work great. I've also used multiple Hauppauge 2250's with excellent results (the original version and not the current one). In fact, the only reason I went with the HDHR tuners was to reduce the heat and clutter inside my HTPC.

FYI - using multiple tuners with a single antenna will require the use of splitters. While it is true that the HDHR Dual/Connect tuners use internal splitters, they don't reduce the signal strength any more than using two individual tuners with an external splitter. In fact, they probably have slightly lower loss since there are no additional coax connections involved. The OP wants multiple tuners so there's no way around the issue. If he has a weak signal then a high gain antenna, preamp, or distribution amp is required for a stronger signal.

I concur with the recommendation to use more than one antenna if the broadcast towers are in different locations that cannot be seen by a single antenna. I live between Baltimore and Washington and I use this exact setup with two antennas pointed in opposite directions. The antennas are connected via a splitter/combiner into a single coax that feeds my tuners.

Here's what I would recommend for improving your signal in the order of best to worst:

1. Get a higher gain antenna. This will provide a stronger signal and eliminate or reduce the need for additional amplification.
2. Get a distribution amp. This includes splitters and amplifiers to compensate for the loss due to splitting the signal and will provide consistent signal strength to each tuner.
3. Mast-mounted preamp. I recommend these as a last resort because, in addition to amplifying the TV signal, it will also amplify any noise or multipath artifacts. You'll get a stronger signal, but you will also get amplified garbage in the mix. Most quality tuners should be able to filter out the garbage, but it can be a crapshoot at best.

·
Registered
959 Posts
One thing to try, Start a recording on one channel, then try to watch Live tv on another channel. Does it work ? How is the quality (breakups etc) ?

After you watch live TV for a while (letting the show in the background finish recording) try to watch the recorded show, is the quality any better ?

I've used this type of setup before, with different brand tuners and never really had any issues. Could be flaky tuner, WMC is designed to work with this type of setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in an apartment on the ground floor at the north end of the building and all of the signals are coming from the south. I'm using an RCA indoor antenna and I was shocked how good it pulled when hooked to just one card. all but 2 of the available OTA channels in my area were 100% signal strength and the 2 "weak" ones were 3 of 4 Green bars. After the split those 2 are dead. I'm picking up a second antenna and and I may get a 3rd and install the 3rd 1265 and see if that has an effect on the conflicts. I can't have an outdoor antenna at the apartment but I'm hunting for a house and will install an outdoor antenna there.

Any advice on a good antenna and preamp combos? The farthest signal is 8 mi and the spread is less than 10 deg and maybe as low as 5 deg. When I'm in a house I most certainly I will end up with line of sight or very close to it to them all.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Any advice on a good antenna and preamp combos? The farthest signal is 8 mi and the spread is less than 10 deg and maybe as low as 5 deg. When I'm in a house I most certainly I will end up with line of sight or very close to it to them all.
Since your signals are strong and close, individual inexpensive rabbit ear antennas for each of your 1265s would seem to be the cheapest and simplest solution for your apartment situation. If you find your house, there are numerous mid-range distance outdoor antennas to choose from which should meet your needs and supply sufficient signal strength for all your 1265s using a splitter. Multidirectional antennas are also available if needed. You should go to the antenna discussion thread for specific advice. If you have windows facing the TV transmitting towers, you might be able to point a modest-sized outdoor antenna toward the towers indoors from behind the window glass in your apartment and solve your problems. Plus you can mount the same antenna outside when you find your house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One thing to try, Start a recording on one channel, then try to watch Live tv on another channel. Does it work ? How is the quality (breakups etc) ?

After you watch live TV for a while (letting the show in the background finish recording) try to watch the recorded show, is the quality any better ?
I did the record on one tuner and watch live on the other and it worked fine. When I did it the first time I was trying to get the live one to record too but every time I would tell WMC to record the show I was watching live it would throw an error saying that it couldn't record that channel because there was no signal on that channel. And the show that was recording would get interrupted each time so that the it ended up hacked into several pieces. The pieces of the recorded show were good quality but just broken into about 5 segments. As long as I just watched the second show live and didn't try to record it the first one recorded no problem.

I have a 3rd 1265 I will try swapping it in for each of the others and see if that changes anything. I am also picking up a couple more antennas and see if that helps. I will also test each card by it's self to see if one of them is not performing up to snuff.

Both Device manager and WMC are seeing both cards and as far as I can tell they are not having any issues.

I only have 3 slots available for internal tuners on this box so if I can find a good distro/pre amp I'm considering trying out the HDHR just to get my tuner count up back up to where it was when I was on the cable with the Ceton.

Is there any data on the signal loss thru the internal splitters of the dual tuner cards? Is it less because it's hard wired as opposed to the connectors of a conventional external splitter box.
I've used this type of setup before, with different brand tuners and never really had any issues. Could be flaky tuner, WMC is designed to work with this type of setup.
Yes I had my Ceton 4 tuner card in this same box and had no issues.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I only have 3 slots available for internal tuners on this box so if I can find a good distro/pre amp I'm considering trying out the HDHR just to get my tuner count up back up to where it was when I was on the cable with the Ceton.

Is there any data on the signal loss thru the internal splitters of the dual tuner cards? Is it less because it's hard wired as opposed to the connectors of a conventional external splitter box.Yes I had my Ceton 4 tuner card in this same box and had no issues.
When you move to a house and have an outdoor antenna, because of your strong signal location, the HDHR or the 2255 dual tuners should work fine. The 1265s are best for weak signal or fringe reception, which is your current apartment situation and why you are able to get usable reception on the north side of your building with just an indoor antenna. The signal loss of the internal splitter of the 2255 is considerably more than the typical 3.5 db loss of an external splitter (one report says it's a 6 db loss) which is why a pair of 1265s with a splitter is superior to the 2255. Not sure how the HDHR rates, but I would wait until you have a house and an outdoor antenna before trying it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts