AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm transferring my family movies from vhs hook up to the panasonic DMR-EH 68. But i'm experiencing some problems with some vhs. After a while the recorder stop to record for not reason. When trying to record again it can go a bit longer or shorter but it stop recording again. i don't think that it got something to do with copy-protection as it usually give the message that the vhs is copy-protected but in my case it didn't display anything. Can someone help me please?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Are your tapes commercial or home recorded tapes?

If it's CP you'll see a little icon in the corner of your thumbnail that looks like two boxes overlapping.

Are you first recording to the HDD or directly to DVD?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack /forum/post/19621535

i'm transferring my family movies from vhs hook up to the panasonic DMR-EH 68. But i'm experiencing some problems with some vhs. After a while the recorder stop to record for not reason. When trying to record again it can go a bit longer or shorter but it stop recording again. i don't think that it got something to do with copy-protection as it usually give the message that the vhs is copy-protected but in my case it didn't display anything. Can someone help me please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19621669

Are your tapes commercial or home recorded tapes?

If it's CP you'll see a little icon in the corner of your thumbnail that looks like two boxes overlapping.

Are you first recording to the HDD or directly to DVD?

I don't normally expect home movies to be on commercial tapes, but I have heard of people "recycling" some commercial tapes, and recording over them, and the CP surviving the erase/re-record process, so it's unlikely, but possible, I suppose.

Do you get this when recording from any other source?

My friend with the EH68 has not reported this problem at all. have you examined the recorded titles on your EH68? Do they look odd, or have drop-outs (bad cable) or some other strange phenomina? This is not a normal action for this machine as far as I know. On my EH59/EH69 machines, I have recorded titles over 8 hours ling. The machines create a new title at 8 hours, but they kept recording.

Unless you can tell us something more, I am at a loss.

What input are you using? Video, or S-Video?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/19622213

I don't normally expect home movies to be on commercial tapes....

Oops, missed the "home" part.

Then I'd guess a media or spindle problem, if recording direct to DVD. That or possibly bad tracking interpreted as a CP signal?? which should have the CP icon on the thumbnail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, these are home recorded videos. I'm first transferring to the hdd of the panasonic recorder through scart cable. i've even tried with with scart to RCA and i got the same result. i did manage to see the recorder stop once and it displayed some message code which was' No rec' i think.

JJef- the videos partly recorded was displaying some weird icon on the direct navigator and it ressemble like two box overlapping but nothing that look in the manual.

Church AV Guy- I'm using scart cable. ive even tried using scart to RCA with same result. The recorded title looks normal and i didn't notice anything abnormal. The odd thing is that the recording is not always at same interval with the same vhs meaning that it can record 5-10 or 30 min or even more before stopping.

Wajo- This looks interesting. the recorder is connected through my Sony EX 500 LCD 46" tv. Could that be the cause

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For update: These recording were made when i was a kid. for the most part these were recorded on my dad's camcorder at the time. I did notice that some videos had dub tapes written on it. What does that mean?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Those are the icons indicating CP'd material. I don't know why you're getting them if not recording commercial CP'd material. As I mentioned before it's possible your VCR is putting out a signal that's confusing your EH-68. Have you tried a different VCR?

I'm guessing you're in Europe? In the US we can purchase inexpensive filters to filter out a VHS CP signal, never seen one here for SCART though.

AFA your tapes that have "dub tapes" written on them probably just mean that they were a copy of the original tape, maybe someone did some compiling or just backed up the original.

Your photo confused me, I always use the thumbnail view and forget about the list view for titles. Good luck on finding your problem.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/19622213

I don't normally expect home movies to be on commercial tapes, but I have heard of people "recycling" some commercial tapes, and recording over them, and the CP surviving the erase/re-record process, so it's unlikely, but possible, I suppose.

You can re-use a commercial VHS cassette without worrying about the macrovision carrying over to your new recording. Anaolog type copy protection like macrovision is embedded into the VBI (Vertical Blanking Interval) Every time a consumer VHS recorder erases the video section of a VHS tape, the VBI (along with macrovision, closed captioning, etc) will be erased and a new VBI will be recorded along with the new video recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack /forum/post/19623100

I did notice that some videos had dub tapes written on it. What does that mean?

Dub refers to copy

Maybe your dad meant that these tapes were already dubbed (copied) from the original camera tapes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack /forum/post/19623100

These recording were made when i was a kid. for the most part these were recorded on my dad's camcorder at the time.

It's possible that the automatic level control for the camera aperture was almost continually going up and down trying to get a good level. This may fool the VCR's Auto Gain (AGC) into thinking that macrovision is present. I don't know for sure but if that's the case then you need a video filter between the VCR and DVDR.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Most likely its just an unfortunate, specific interaction between your particular VCR, these tapes, and your EH68. As others have suggested, some examples of camcorder tapes can give off signals that resemble commercial copy protection, which will trigger random pauses or shutdowns when trying to dub to a DVD recorder. Panasonics are usually quite good at detecting real copy protection vs spurious signals from camcorder tapes, so this is kind of an odd problem you're having.

wajo's tip that it could be caused by EMI/RF interference is something many people aren't aware of: nearby computers, appliances and especially CRT monitors or TV screens can be a hidden influence on recorder operation. Since you are using an LCD flat screen TV, you can probably rule this out in your case, unless you see some other EMI/RF source within half a meter distance from your EH68. The problem is most likely oddities in the recordings themselves, tracking issues with your VCR, or as ChurchAVGuy theorizes, a recycled commercial tape. Re-used commercial tapes may not be completely free of copy protection: if the new recording was stopped and then restarted as your father dubbed various clips, there can be areas of 3-4 seconds where the copy inhibit signal has not been erased. This would be enough to shut down an EH68 momentarily.

Try to borrow another VCR from a friend/relative and see if that solves the problem, or reduces its occurence. If not, the next step is to try a video filter that strips analog protection, or a "time base corrector" (TBC). A good TBC sold in Europe is the CBT-100, but its expensive for a transitory project. Perhaps you could rent it from a dealer. Filters and TBCs use the old RCA connectors, as special-purpose items they avoid SCART regulations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys. thanks for your help. For clarification does filters means video stabilisers. if so is the dimax grex a good product?. Also is the scart output better than RCA because i haven't seen a video stabilizer with scart input & output and the only ones seems to have analogue & S-video.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The Grex is a popular choice, albeit a little expensive because it filters both analog and digital protection signals. Since your problem is in dubbing camcorder tapes, which don't have digital protection signals (real or spurious), you could very likely get away with a simple cheap analog-only filter. There were scads of these around for years before DVDs became popular, with a handful still available new from various websites. The majority look like a black cigarette pack, with two RCA connectors on one end. Ask around and see if anyone you know still has one, in the States they sell new for $24.95-39.95. This one is typical . If you can't find one locally, and will have to order from overseas anyway (with shipping and VAT), then the Grex is more attractive for the trouble and cost. It will handle any filtering issue you may encounter later from such things as Sky satellite service, etc.

SCART was an EU bureaucratic answer to a question nobody asked. It is bulky and prone to picking up noise and static. The RCA or S-Video connections on accessories like the Grex or MCX will work equally well if not better.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
the videos partly recorded was displaying some weird icon on the direct navigator and it ressemble like two box overlapping but nothing that look in the manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19623420

Those are the icons indicating CP'd material. I don't know why you're getting them if not recording commercial CP'd material. As I mentioned before it's possible your VCR is putting out a signal that's confusing your EH-68. Have you tried a different VCR?

Just to be thorough, that icon is listed on page 25 of the EH68 manual. The text is: "The programme was copy-protected so it was not recorded."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye /forum/post/19623437

You can re-use a commercial VHS cassette without worrying about the macrovision carrying over to your new recording. Anaolog type copy protection like macrovision is embedded into the VBI (Vertical Blanking Interval) Every time a consumer VHS recorder erases the video section of a VHS tape, the VBI (along with macrovision, closed captioning, etc) will be erased and a new VBI will be recorded along with the new video recording.

That is correct, IN THEORY. But, as I said, I have had first hand experience with used, rerecorded video tapes that still had the CP active on them. I know very well that it should not happen, but I assure you, even though it seems impossible, it has happened because I have seen it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts