134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built my new HTPC:

Shuttle SB61G2

2.4G P4

512MB PC3500 DDR DRAM

160GB Maxtor drive

Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD-everything writer

Radeon 7200 (until the 9600 Pro arrives - lowest power with VS/PS 2.0)

FusionHDTV I board (the original, not the II)

Windows 2000 Pro + SP4

I'm running a custom resolution of 1920x1024 because of my single scan rate (64 kHz) 9" Sony CRT projector. I'm also running with larger fonts (150% in display properties-->settings-->advanced-->General-->Font Size, as well as larger fonts in display properties-->Appearance) so I can read icon names etc.

Here's the issues I'm having with the 1.99.06 build of the FusionHDTV drivers:

1) 2 channels (WBZ-DT Boston (CBS) and WSBK Boston (UPN)) have good reception (>80%), play audio fine, but no video. I have captured transport streams for them which I can make available to anyone who wants to diagnose.

2) EPG dialog box looks awful. Icons are in the wrong place, the TitanTV one is in 2 places, and resized, the X to close the window is in the wrong place etc. My guess is that the non-default text sizes are screwing it up.

3) Overlay of signal strength etc. gets chopped off, probably due to the non-default text sizes.

4) You can change the channel while you're recording with the mouse wheel. The software starts a new recording with the same name and overwrites all the recording up to that time.

5) Timed recording records a ~14MB file then starts a new one that has the right program material in it.

6) The signal checker doesn't work at all. The correct channels don't show up in the CH drop-down and I always get 0 dB and 0% for every channel that does, even though I receive and can watch 6 digital channels

7) 4 stations are all shown as having the same station number (60).

Wish list:

1) Be able to change the sub-channel while recording. WGBH has 1 channel SD (1) and 1 channel HD (2). If a timed recording starts and I come in to watch it, sub-channel 1 is displayed. I can't change the sub-channel with the up/down arrows, and if I change the sub-channel with the mouse wheel, it starts recording anew, deleting all the previous program (see #4 above).

Video quality is excellent, no stuttering, and ~40% CPU usage. I love the board, but these issues really need to be ironed out.

I really wish I could buy a non-board locked version of the playback software for my Radeon 9000 equipped laptop.

Now I have to look around for the best way to do commercial removal from HD transport streams and cut out undesireable sub-channels. Time to search around here...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SThieret
1) 2 channels (WBZ-DT Boston (CBS) and WSBK Boston (UPN)) have good reception (>80%), play audio fine, but no video. I have captured transport streams for them which I can make available to anyone who wants to diagnose.
This one I can help with.

For some strange reason, and only in the Boston area, you have to turn off DxVA in order to see 4 and 38 (fyi, they are sister stations). Nobody knows/cares why it's broken, I presume because we are such a minority (Fusion + Boston area seem to be the only reported cases I've read about) and I'm hoping it goes away in a future release of software.

TomM

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom,

Thank you for your help. That did indeed permit me to view CBS (I watched Threat Matrix for the first time last night. However, without DxVA, the video is noticibly more jerky.

How can we get DVICO to fix this?

Oh, and the signal checker is fine - user error! I assumed that it'd get the channel list from the player and never let the Scan Channels complete. Now I have the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this is really starting to get to me. With DxVA off I can get UPN and CBS, but the video studders. Running with DxVA on, it's smooth as glass (1920x1080 60p) but the software won't decode CBS or UPN.

ARG!

·
Registered
261 Posts
fyi, I just downloaded the new 2.01 software and nothings fixed, so don't get too excited when you get it.

Which option are you using under the non-DxVA video setting? I have an Athlon 1700+ and can only get away with "Good" but you might want to try Better and Best and see if the playback is any smoother.

TomM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.