Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Finally got my first HTPC done with
  • Cheap Case
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
  • GIGABYTE GA-M78SM-S2H
  • CORSAIR XMS2 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2
  • Logitech Mediaboard Pro
  • 160 GB ATA Hard Disk (from older desktop)
  • Lite-on DVD RW (from older desktop)

For some reason or another could not get it to work with Linux and Ubuntu

(at least the sites that I wanted for streaming)

Got it to work with Windows 7 beta (64 bit)

All the setup was done using smaller (19") LCD HDTV and on board HDMI port.

Then moved the box to main TV (Toshiba 57H84) which has 1 HDMI input.

The box is working fine. Although I would like to see crisper/bigger text I can enjoy what I'm seeing.

At the moment, my biggest issue is that I have to press Alt-F5 about every 10 minutes. The TV is the only monitor. The box never had D-Sub monitor. When I was building the box, I didn't have to press Alt-F5 ever. Now that I'm streaming video, there is interruption every 10 minutes.

Any ideas ?

TIA

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Check your video setup. Sounds like it is having issue with the monitor. As far as text size, what rez are you running? Maybe you need to tell your video which modes the Toshiba supports, or disable EDID.

BTW. What function is

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, that's strange...my post ended up vanishing from that thread

Anyways:

Quote:
For some reason or another could not get it to work with Linux and Ubuntu

(at least the sites that I wanted for streaming)

Did you have the proper codecs installed?

Quote:
Got it to work with Windows 7 beta (64 bit)

Why use Windows 7? It is so new, there are bound to be bugs. Not to mention a potential lack of driver support. If you seriously don't want to pay for the OS, stick with the Linux direction.

Quote:
The box is working fine. Although I would like to see crisper/bigger text I can enjoy what I'm seeing.

Go into the display properties and increase font size and text size. Next your TV will most likely require a calibration. I didn't think it would be possible but, I'm humble enough to admit, that Mr. Bob has convinced me otherwise. A good cal on the TV should result in crisper text.

Quote:
At the moment, my biggest issue is that I have to press Alt-F5 about every 10 minutes. The TV is the only monitor. The box never had D-Sub monitor. When I was building the box, I didn't have to press Alt-F5 ever. Now that I'm streaming video, there is interruption every 10 minutes.

Two questions:

1) What exactly is the "interruption" that your witnessing? Is it a crash, or some other issue?

2) Like the other poster, what exactly does Alt-F5 do?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts