AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hired a company to pre-wire our new home. Unfortunately due to some unforeseen circumstances the company had to be removed from the site. This in turn left the installation of the sound system incomplete. It appeared as though all the wiring itself had been completed and being fairly computer literate, I decided to take on the task of finishing the installation myself.

We have the MCA-C3 and six zones running on SLK-1 keypads and have updated the firmware for the MCA-C3. All keypads show that they are independently zoned 1 thru 6 with the names identified that we had given. Each source has been named and is also identified at each keypad as given.

The issue is that when one keypad is turned on, all zones turn. I have tried desperately to unlink all the zones and have them turn on independently to no avail. I have taken them out of party mode and shared mode and any other mode I thought might be responsible. The other concern is that to date there is no sound from any of the speakers in any of the zones. All the speakers have been tested independently on a different source and work fine. So my concern is that somewhere in the attic space the pre-wire has not been completed for each set of speakers. The attic is a fairly large space but is not easily accessible so if anyone can think of any other reason, I would try that first. Otherwise, I guess it is into the attic we go.

I like to work things out and learn but with about 46 hours invested, I am near claiming defeat. If the general consensus is that I should hire someone else to complete the install, I can tuck my tail between my legs and do so. But realistically, I am a guy and very rarely ask for directions.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Do you have the Russound SCS software? Is zone linking enabled?

When you say "all speakers have been tested independently", do you mean you tested them before installing them? Or you connected the wires to a different source and they work?

Speaker wires are usually home run, so I don't see why there would be any further wiring to do. Did you confirm there is wire actually attached to the speakers? Are you sure you have the wires properly terminated at the C3? Any color combo can be used.. so just because the molex connectors at the C3 have a color code doesn't mean the wiring corresponds.

If you confirm all of that, I would say you probably pissed them off and they took some wire cutters to the cable bundle someplace.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the zones are linked in the software but I guess I had not taken into account the color coding of the wires. I assumed the colors would coincide with the installation instructions. The speakers were verified independently on a separate system before being installed so we know for sure it is not the speakers and yes, I installed each speaker and connected each wire.

i will take a run at the different color combinations on the molex at the C3 to see if that is possibly the issue.

Thanks again,

Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the zones are linked in the software, what you are describing would be the expected result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for all the input into the situation. In the end we hired a third party company to come in and attempt a diagnosis. It turns out that two sets of speakers had not been connected at all and that there was a problem with the Cat5 connection. All in all a couple of hundreds bucks got us up and running. Sounds great and again thanks to the AVS Forums for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts