AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem. First, let me start by explaining my system.

I've got a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K in my family room connected to the Klipsch HD500 system. I've got two sources for the Pioneer, a U-Verse IPN-4something (the main DVR box) and a Sony BDP-N460. Both are connected via HDMI.

I've got the speakers set up for 5.1 sound, however I hear little to nothing from my surround speakers. I miss explosions, I miss gunshots, I even miss the music in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I've got an older, cheaper Pioneer AVR in the basement, and even it pushes sound from its rears on Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

I've used the MCACC built into the AVR to adjust it for the room. I've got the audio mode on the receiver set to Dolby PL II.

I'm convinced it's not the speakers, because when the MCACC runs it pushes sound out the speakers. However, I get little to nothing from the rear speakers (sometimes there are very faint noises only noticable when you put your ear right up to the speaker). First, I thought it was the fact that the mounts the Klipsch come with point the speaker straight out, and in order to appease the wife the speakers are at the top of the wall, but then I bought different mounts to angle the speakers down and I'm still not getting anything.

The only time I've gotten the expected sound from the rears is when my son was playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on PS3 which was then moved to the basement. You could hear the crack of gunshots, etc. Not even Blu-Ray titles give me rear sound.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You should not be using Dolby PL II for movies from a DVD or from a TV source with 5.1 DD capability. DPL II is for stereo sources, and the surround won't be as impressive.

If your system is setup correctly, you should be getting Dolby Digital. In this case, you would not be using DPL II. You would be getting 5.1 discrete channels.

Do you have a digital connection from your player to your receiver?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, TV is set up for PL II. DVD is set up to Auto I believe.

When the TV was set up for Auto, I frequently ended up with stereo sound, although I guess that hasn't improved.

Yes, I'm using HDMI to pass (hopefully) Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Hi JTR7, sound like your sources are not set correctly.

Uverse audio menu should be set to DD 5.1 surround.

N460 audio menu should be set with "BD Audio Setting" to DIRECT and "Audio (HDMI)" to AUTO.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some disks have a THX menu with test tones. You could use those to test that the proper sounds are going to the proper channels at the proper levels.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried it a few ways.

I've got the Uverse Audio Output setting set to "Surround Sound". Then, I set the AVR to Auto. Most stations showed DD on the AVR's panel, but still no rear sound. I've tried various different movies on HBO/Cinemax/Starz HD channels. Last night I watched Law Abiding Citizen. I was sorely dissapointed when the cars blew up and all the sound came from the front. I was upset when the prison blew up and all sound was coming from the front. I was upset when the weaponized bomb disposal robot blew up the DA's car and all sound came from the front. I tried PL II only to see if it would help with shows that were coming over in stereo. It didn't.

I'm not entirely sure how I came up with the Audio Output Setting on the BDP. I think it is able to Auto-Detect. However, generally when I watch movies on it the screen on the AVR says "PCM".

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Your surround speakers...how are they connected to the receiver?

For a 5.1 setup be sure they're connected to "surround" outputs on the receiver, not "surround back" outputs.

Since the receiver says PCM I would say the setting in the player needs to be changed. Go into the audio configuration menu in the player's setup mode and look for a setting for the HDMI (and also maybe digital) output. Usually there are two choices "bitstream" (sometimes "raw") or "PCM". Be sure it's set to "bitstream".

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My options for BDP are Auto or PCM.

Kuro Link is off. I'm watching NE vs. CHI right now and I can hear some noise from the surrounds. They are connected to the surround terminals and not surround back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.