AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm using a Celeron 667 and it works fine, even with DScaler.

- Windows 2000, CUSL2-C, 256MB, Radeon LE, 30GB IBM 75-GXP, WinTV Stereo/FM, Toshiba M1212, SBLive4670, PowerDVD, Apple Extended USB KB, Microsoft Optical Mouse

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I started with a celeron 633 and the ATI AIW on an Asus CUV4X MB w/ 256mb pc133 ram.

It didn't cut it: DVD was choppy, 30-40% frames dropped where recording television resolution mpeg using the AIW.

I switched to the Pentium III 933. DVD playback is excellent (except for slight studder when entire scene is panning, or landscape panning) and about 17% of the frames dropped when recording

·
Registered
901 Posts
A Celleron 600 with 128MB RAM worked fine for me with both Matrox G400 and now Radeon LE.

DVD playback was fine after tuning the OS the remove unwanted processes.

DScaler worked OK apart from Tom's new 'Greedy High motion' plugin.

MPEG recording or encoding just blows. 320x240 15FPS at best.

Overclocking the Celleron to 750Mhz fixed the DScaler problem, but didn't make much of a difference to recording.

If you have any hardware assist for the recording function i.e. Accesss DTV or HIPIX then recording should be OK.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
One of my HTPCs is still a Celeron 466. It runs all software DVD players without stuttering and DScaler in medium performance mode. I don't use that machine for video capture, however.

Gary

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hey, Celeron can go from 200mhz to more than 1 ghz ;) You should focus a bit more on what you're talking about.

I'm using a [email protected] Celeron. Pretty sufficient. Don't loose some time discussing about 500 or 700 is better, they don't even sell less than a Duron 800mhz. Really not worth discussing this here.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey Yvonus,

Lighten up on the guy, maybe he already has one and just wants to know if it will do the job.

In any case, if someone asks and it's on topic then it's worth discussing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the mobo and I´m thinking in buy a Celeron 850-1100. I have 128 MB and this new PC will only run Dscaler (max quality) and DVD playback.

It´s so interesting go to Athlon?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i had been running a celeron 900 on a bx chipset board and had no problems with any dscaler option (including greedy hm) however i noticed a decrease in performance when i swapped out to a via chipset board using the exact same cpu and memory.

cpu speed is not the only factor to consider.

rick

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have seen a few posts where people seem to get more out of the processor when it's installed in an motherboard with an Intel chipset. The BX boards used to be the thing to have, now the newer 815 or 820 seems to be just as stable.

I see and hear a lot of stories both for and against AMD. On the for side is that you get much more bang for your buck, but on the negative side is that you do hear of niggling little problems with incompatabilities.

While there are many happy HTPCers with AMD based systems I think you are safer sticking to Intel. Things like stuttering DVD playback just don't seem to come up as often.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I don't watch DVD's on my HTPC, but I do have an AccessDTV card that I use for recording and playback.

I personally run a celeron533 on an intel i810 based motherboard, and the HDTV stuff works great. I've never had any problems with the software choking on the slower cpu...

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by siwilson
Lighten up on the guy, maybe he already has one and just wants to know if it will do the job
Take it easy ! And don't get me wrong ; given the price of processors right now, what I meant was ;
  • sure a Celeron will do
  • don't try to save 20$ by trying to figure out what's the ultra-minimum Celeron that will do the job. Get something >= 800mhz and you'll be just fine

Didn't meant to be rude to anyone of course. I just don't want the guy to lose 5 days figuring if a 500mhz will be fine or if he'd better get a 600mhz !

I hope I made myself clear, not my habit to let someone down on the forum (or I won't be 800+ posts ;))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.