AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place but a few weeks ago my wife comes home to tell me she bought a WII for our 6 yr old and now I need to buy a TV for the living room. Well, she got a bit more than she wanted as we now own a 65VT25 bundle including the BDT-100P blueray player and three glasses that I picked up at Video Only for $3500.

Here is my question. What should I be considering to connect it all up? In our bedroom is a Tivo Series 3 with the lifetime service which is connected to our home network so I can download whatever and play it off the Tivo. Is there a means to use the Tivo on both setups? I almost never watch live TV anymore as I normally let Tivo record what I want and watch it later.

Would picking up a receiver be a good idea? I have a higher end but older receiver so if I go this route I'll need something HDMI 1.4 compatible for 3d functionality? I Need to do some dry wall work to fit everything in so I'm trying to plan out components and do the work before mounting everything up.

Where it's going... I made the inset when I remodeled the house a couple years ago. The inset currently measures 73" wide X 25" high by 4 inches deep. The top inset will probably have to go as unless I drop the Tv directly on top of the mantle, there won't be enough room. It's 33 inches from the top of the mantle to the bottom of the top inset. I intend to create a electronics cabinet by cutting into the area above the wood box. It will be tight work but there is no where to mount stuff.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

A pic of the viewing area.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Regarding the receiver, it depends if you want to invest more money. You could always hook up the receiver passively, meaning it receives the audio signal via optical or coax cable directly from its devices, like the blu ray player, and therefor does not need to be 3D compatible, since it won't pass a video signal.

If your system truely is high end, I will tell you it is rather hard to hear the difference between the lossless codecs that are carried via HDMI compared to the DTS and Dolby Digital signals carried via optical/COAX. In fact in many expert reviews around the web, its been deemed nearly impossible to hear the difference, even when listening in DTS test labs.

Unless your audio system is very dated, and you need to be in the market for a new receiver, you may not need to upgrade. (unless of course you truely want to anyway)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts